ZION NATIONAL PARK — A 49-year-old Santa Clara man died Friday afternoon from injuries sustained in a 40-foot fall along the Northeast Buttress route, which is below Angels Landing.
Park officials identified the man as Lyle Dale Hurd III. According to national park officials, Hurd was hiking with three other men when he fell. The accident is under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service.
Hurd's hiking partner witnessed the fall and called for emergency assistance. Twenty members of the Zion Search and Rescue Team assisted with the initial response and to recover Hurd's body once it was determined he had not survive the fall.
Hurd's death was the second fatal accident in the park during 2012 and the seventh climbing fatality since 1983.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free tuition...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 22