ZION NATIONAL PARK — A 49-year-old Santa Clara man died Friday afternoon from injuries sustained in a 40-foot fall along the Northeast Buttress route, which is below Angels Landing.
Park officials identified the man as Lyle Dale Hurd III. According to national park officials, Hurd was hiking with three other men when he fell. The accident is under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service.
Hurd's hiking partner witnessed the fall and called for emergency assistance. Twenty members of the Zion Search and Rescue Team assisted with the initial response and to recover Hurd's body once it was determined he had not survive the fall.
Hurd's death was the second fatal accident in the park during 2012 and the seventh climbing fatality since 1983.
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- FBI investigating shooting of Fort Duchesne man
- Top House Democrat not seeking re-election
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 51
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 27
- Birth father rights the focus of two... 23
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23