ZION NATIONAL PARK — A 49-year-old Santa Clara man died Friday afternoon from injuries sustained in a 40-foot fall along the Northeast Buttress route, which is below Angels Landing.
Park officials identified the man as Lyle Dale Hurd III. According to national park officials, Hurd was hiking with three other men when he fell. The accident is under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service.
Hurd's hiking partner witnessed the fall and called for emergency assistance. Twenty members of the Zion Search and Rescue Team assisted with the initial response and to recover Hurd's body once it was determined he had not survive the fall.
Hurd's death was the second fatal accident in the park during 2012 and the seventh climbing fatality since 1983.
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8