ZION NATIONAL PARK — A 49-year-old Santa Clara man died Friday afternoon from injuries sustained in a 40-foot fall along the Northeast Buttress route, which is below Angels Landing.
Park officials identified the man as Lyle Dale Hurd III. According to national park officials, Hurd was hiking with three other men when he fell. The accident is under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service.
Hurd's hiking partner witnessed the fall and called for emergency assistance. Twenty members of the Zion Search and Rescue Team assisted with the initial response and to recover Hurd's body once it was determined he had not survive the fall.
Hurd's death was the second fatal accident in the park during 2012 and the seventh climbing fatality since 1983.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- Former Jazzman Thurl Bailey named ambassador...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21
- S.L. draws up airport plans 16
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 16
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 14
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 11