ZION NATIONAL PARK — A 49-year-old Santa Clara man died Friday afternoon from injuries sustained in a 40-foot fall along the Northeast Buttress route, which is below Angels Landing.
Park officials identified the man as Lyle Dale Hurd III. According to national park officials, Hurd was hiking with three other men when he fell. The accident is under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff's Office and the National Park Service.
Hurd's hiking partner witnessed the fall and called for emergency assistance. Twenty members of the Zion Search and Rescue Team assisted with the initial response and to recover Hurd's body once it was determined he had not survive the fall.
Hurd's death was the second fatal accident in the park during 2012 and the seventh climbing fatality since 1983.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 32
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 11
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming... 8