MILLCREEK — The family of missing 80-year-old Fritz B. Helland, whose last contact with relatives was by cell phone Wednesday afternoon, asked for continued efforts from volunteers Saturday afternoon.
"We would appeal if anyone has some time tomorrow to come and help us," Helland's son, Jacob Helland, said at a news conference Saturday. "We miss my dad and are worried about him, so any help we can get is greatly appreciated."
The Unified Police Department issued an endangered missing advisory for Helland on Friday, due to concerns over his condition, exposure to cold and the length of time he has been missing.
The UPD has searched Helland's Millcreek neighborhood extensively, employing officers, helicopters, firefighters and trained search dogs. Volunteers also assisted with Saturday's search, covering around six square miles.
"Today we have had over 200 volunteers and approximately 70 law enforcement officers searching the Millcreek area, all unfortunately to no avail," Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder said Saturday.
A command center has been established at the LDS Church meetinghouse at 3100 E. 3370 South. Anybody wanting to volunteer in the search effort is asked meet there at 8 a.m. Sunday.
"It's just critical that we bring some closure to this situation and find this gentleman, so we would really appreciate community support," Winder said.
Helland, who has problems with short-term memory, was on a walk with his dog, a miniature Doberman pinscher, during the phone conversation with family members Wednesday. He has not been seen or heard from since. He is believed to be wearing a brown and tan jacket.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 28
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17