52-year-old Sandy man identified as victim of officer-involved shooting in Box Elder County
CORINNE, Box Elder County — A 52-year-old Sandy man was shot and killed by a Box Elder County sheriff's deputy shortly before 8 p.m. Friday after the man attempted to run over the officer with his vehicle.
The victim was identified as Troy Clark Burkinshaw, according to Box Elder County sheriff's chief deputy Kevin Potter.
The deputy pulled over when he observed a vehicle stopped on the side of the road on state Route 13 about 7:45 p.m. Friday. The driver of the vehicle was urinating on the side of the road.
The officer was attempting to check the name provided by the driver when Burkinshaw returned to his vehicle and fled. A low-speed chase ensued, which ended when Burkinshaw drove into a dead-end street.
When the officer approached Burkinshaw's vehicle to talk to him, the man "punched the accelerator and tried to run over the officer, and the officer shot him," Box Elder County Sheriff Lynn Yeates said Friday night.
The officer who shot Burkinshaw is on paid administrative leave pending investigation of the incident, which is standard procedure, Potter said. The officer was struck on the leg by Burkinshaw's vehicle. He was treated at the scene for his injuries to his knee, Potter said.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12