52-year-old Sandy man identified as victim of officer-involved shooting in Box Elder County
CORINNE, Box Elder County — A 52-year-old Sandy man was shot and killed by a Box Elder County sheriff's deputy shortly before 8 p.m. Friday after the man attempted to run over the officer with his vehicle.
The victim was identified as Troy Clark Burkinshaw, according to Box Elder County sheriff's chief deputy Kevin Potter.
The deputy pulled over when he observed a vehicle stopped on the side of the road on state Route 13 about 7:45 p.m. Friday. The driver of the vehicle was urinating on the side of the road.
The officer was attempting to check the name provided by the driver when Burkinshaw returned to his vehicle and fled. A low-speed chase ensued, which ended when Burkinshaw drove into a dead-end street.
When the officer approached Burkinshaw's vehicle to talk to him, the man "punched the accelerator and tried to run over the officer, and the officer shot him," Box Elder County Sheriff Lynn Yeates said Friday night.
The officer who shot Burkinshaw is on paid administrative leave pending investigation of the incident, which is standard procedure, Potter said. The officer was struck on the leg by Burkinshaw's vehicle. He was treated at the scene for his injuries to his knee, Potter said.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16