OSU jumped out to a 5-1 edge at the beginning of the third set, but Utah fought back to within two (8-6). Unfortunately, the Beavers were able to work their lead up to as many as six points, with the last instance coming at 17-11. The Utes countered with four consecutive scores to cut their lead to as many as two (17-15). Oregon State came away with a 25-19 win in third set over the Utes to extend the match as Redd turned in four more kills on six attempts for a .667 clip against the Beavers.
“OSU did a good job of not going away,” Launiere said. “They have some intangibles that make them a good team so we knew it was going to be tough to put them away. We showed a lot of composure tonight. That is something we have worked on in practice. Even when it was tight or we were behind, we showed a lot of confidence."
Utah claimed three of the opening four points of the fourth frame, but OSU forced the second tie of the frame at four points apiece. The Utes reeled off three consecutive to earn a 7-4 edge and their advantage would grow as large as four (14-10) before the Beavers tied the set for the third time at 17 points apiece. Utah put together a 3-0 run to seize a 20-17 edge on the way to a match-clinching 25-18 win in the fourth set. In the finale, Schofield had four kills on seven swings with one error for a .429 clip, while Sim registered four of her 10 digs. The Utes claimed a .300 to .075 edge in hitting percentage in the deciding set.
Oregon State (13-10, 3-8 Pac-12) was led by 16 kills and five digs from Camille Saxton.
The Utes take on No. 3 Oregon on Sunday at 11 a.m. MT. The match will be televised live on the Pac-12 Network.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28