Utah Valley University soccer: Wolverines fall in non-conference finale
Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah – A conceded goal just before halftime proved the difference as the Utah Valley University women's soccer team fell 1-0 to Montana on Friday night at Clyde Field.
"Montana is a good team," UVU head coach Brent Anderson said. "We've had some good battles with them in the past and I thought both our teams had been playing well coming into the match. I thought we had a good game plan coming in but it didn't work out the way we had hoped."
Despite being outshot 19-7 in the match, the Wolverines (6-11-1) kept the Grizzly (11-6-2) attack in check for much of the contest. But UM, holding UVU to only one shot on goal for the full 90 minutes, got all it needed right before the intermission.
Midfielder Paytyn Wheeler took possession in space just outside the attacking third and began a long run to the top of the 18. The sophomore then lifted a high shot to the far, right post that dropped into the corner to break the scoreless tie.
The Wolverines got forward and created more chances towards the end of the match but could not find the final pass to free up a real scoring opportunity.
"We need to take this experience, clean up a few things, and get ready for Monday," Anderson said.
UM, which clinched a share of the Big Sky regular season title last week, now turns its attention to the Big Sky tournament, which begins Nov. 2.
UVU returns to action Monday in the regular season finale against Great West Conference foe Delaware State. The Hornets were the only team to beat the Wolverines in conference play last season. That match will kick off at 7 p.m.
Should DSU lose to Houston Baptist in its match Saturday, the Wolverines will clinch their second consecutive GWC Regular Season title. However, a Hornet win on Saturday makes Monday night a de facto championship – the winner taking the regular season crown.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- BYU confirms Jim McMahon will be inducted...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Jim McMahon: 37 years later, former BYU star...
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 137
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 101
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48