Man shot, killed after trying to run over sheriff's deputy in Box Elder County
CORINNE, Box Elder County — A man was shot and killed Friday night after trying to run over a sheriff's deputy.
A Box Elder County sheriff's deputy stopped on state Route 13 just west of Brigham City about 8 p.m. when he saw a man urinating on the side of the road, Sheriff Lynn Yeates said.
The man gave the deputy a name, but when the deputy went back to his vehicle to check the name, the suspect took off in his vehicle.
"(The deputy) followed him, trying to get him to stop for multiple streets in Corinne," Yeates said. "He attempted to run over the officer's vehicle or strike the officer's vehicle twice."
The chase ended on a dead-end street, where the deputy attempted to speak to the man.
"The officer got out of the car to go talk to him, and the person punched the accelerator, tried to run over the officer and the officer shot him," Yeates said.
The sheriff's deputy was not injured during the encounter and was alone at the time of the incident.
Officers were working to determine the man's identity Friday night. The name he provided to the deputy was false.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 38
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 30
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14