Man shot, killed after trying to run over sheriff's deputy in Box Elder County
CORINNE, Box Elder County — A man was shot and killed Friday night after trying to run over a sheriff's deputy.
A Box Elder County sheriff's deputy stopped on state Route 13 just west of Brigham City about 8 p.m. when he saw a man urinating on the side of the road, Sheriff Lynn Yeates said.
The man gave the deputy a name, but when the deputy went back to his vehicle to check the name, the suspect took off in his vehicle.
"(The deputy) followed him, trying to get him to stop for multiple streets in Corinne," Yeates said. "He attempted to run over the officer's vehicle or strike the officer's vehicle twice."
The chase ended on a dead-end street, where the deputy attempted to speak to the man.
"The officer got out of the car to go talk to him, and the person punched the accelerator, tried to run over the officer and the officer shot him," Yeates said.
The sheriff's deputy was not injured during the encounter and was alone at the time of the incident.
Officers were working to determine the man's identity Friday night. The name he provided to the deputy was false.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Levan wildfire burns 'well over 1,000' acres...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 12