PROVO, Utah – The BYU women's swimming and diving team fell to the University of California 158-118 Friday night at the Richards Building Pool.
"We're grateful that Cal came out to compete against us," head coach John Brooks said. "We hope they feel welcome to come again. The girls swam well after a tough week of training. I thought Angela Bennion swam a great 100 free and that Londyn Clawson swam a great 200 breast. Alia Welsh also swam very well today."
The meet started out with the 200 medley relay with the team of Hailey Campbell, Kassandra Bispo, Kimberly Welch Doroghian and Taryn Toolson Lewis finished one one-hundreths of a second behind Cal to finish second with a time of 1:44.79.
Alia Welsh took fourth place in the 200 free with a time of 1:55.56 and Bennion was the next Cougar to finish, coming in at 1:57.98.
In the 100 back, Campbell was the first Cougar to touch the wall with a time of 57.12 to finish in second place. Ciera Marsh finished with a time of 1:00.44 to finish in fifth.
Following the 100 free was the 100 breast. Bispo and Clawson finished second and third for BYU. Bispo finished with a time of 1:04.40 and Clawson finished with a time of 1:05.68.
Across the deck in the diving pool, Dayna Christensen swept the 1-meter and the 3-meter dives. Christensen scored 291.68 in the 1-meter and 316.65 in the 3-meter. Raleigh Williams Taylor took second place in both events, scoring a 276.83 and a 265.35 in the 1-meter and 3-meter respectively.
After the diving break, Clawson took second in the 200 breast with a time of 2:21.66 and Bispo finished fifth with a time of 2:27.44.
In the 100 free, Bennion finished with a time of 53.69 and Alexandria Sorensen finished with a time of 53.78.
Doroghian tapped the wall first for the Cougars in the 100 fly with a time of 56.34. Sorensen finished with a time of 59.21.
The meet ended with the 400 free relay. The team of Toolson, Doroghian, Sorensen and Bennion came in fourth with a time of 3:34.15.
Next up for the Cougars is a meet against UNLV on Saturday Nov. 3. The men's team will also compete in the meet which will begin at 1 p.m. MDT.
Jared Houghton is a Sports Information Director who works in the BYU Athletic Communications with the men's and women's swimming teams. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions relating to swimming.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28