2 men plead guilty to assault, obstruction in connection with fatal stabbing
SALT LAKE CITY — Two men charged in connection with a fatal stabbing in Holladay have pleaded guilty.
Austin Scott Taylor, 21, and Ryan Gordon Curtz, 18, both pleaded guilty Monday to charges of obstructing justice, a second-degree felony, and assault, a class A misdemeanor, in connection with the death of Michael Robert Workman, 25.
A third man, Talon Levi Hamann, 18, has been charged with murder, a first-degree felony; obstructing justice, a second-degree felony; and tampering with a witness, a third-degree felony.
Workman had apparently been playing Frisbee golf on Aug. 22 and phoned his father that evening to tell him he was going to hang out with friends afterward. He went to a friend's house and parked his car nearby, just west of an LDS meetinghouse at 4930 S. Westmoor Road (1730 East).
In the early morning hours of Aug. 23, prosecutors say Workman left the home with two other people and was confronted by three men in the parking lot — Hamann, Curtz and Taylor.
"Michael and Ryan began fighting with each other. Austin joined the fight and helped get Michael on the ground," according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
Hamann had a knife and stabbed Workman in the legs and torso, the charges state. Police say all three men then fled the scene and went to a house where police say Hamann and Taylor removed their blood-stained clothing. Hamann took that clothing and his knife and said he would "take care of this," according to the charging documents.
Taylor's attorney, Cara Tangaro, said both her client and Curtz agreed to cooperate with prosecutors as part of their plea agreements.
A preliminary hearing has been set in Hamann's case for Feb. 8. At that time, a judge will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to order the man to stand trial on the murder charge.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Southern Utah infant dies after being left in...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Police say son beat 70-year-old father to death
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- Uintah County man accused of assaulting...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 44
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Review board clears Salt Lake police... 30
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26