A balanced budget the biggest concern for Utah business owners
Ravell Call, Deseret News
The federal budget deficit and a struggling job market are at the top of a list of concerns for small businesses in Utah, according to a recent study from George Washington University and Thumbtack.com.
A quarter of all Utah small-business owners who responded to the survey, released earlier this month, said the federal budget deficit is their “most important economic issue” in their choice for president, according to the study.
Unemployment followed the budget deficit on the list of concerns, with 16 percent saying it’s their most important issue.
“Being a business that would be considered by most to be a luxury dependent business, the best thing the government could do to help my business is to help the general public by bringing up the unemployment rate and by reducing the deficit, so that more people would be able to afford my services,” an anonymous respondent said in the survey.
Health care costs also ranked high in concerns for Utah’s small-business owners, according to the study.
Nationally, small-business owners are most concerned about the job market, with 27 percent of respondents saying unemployment is their biggest concern.
One in five respondents among both Republicans and Democrats are still unsure about which candidate will be the most supportive of small businesses, according to the study.
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Historic solar flight marks first...
- Judge set to decide on $15B Volkswagen...
- Former Oregon lumber town rides digital wave...
- US home prices rise at steady pace as sales...
- Stocks waver as investors monitor company...
- US stocks rise, helped by jump in Apple shares
- Fiat Chrysler raises outlook as Q2 profits...
- Get all your outdoors work done by... 14
- Utah communities are working to stop... 5
- How to recognize the signs of a scam... 4
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Deseret News, KSL want court records in... 3
- Judge sends Jeremy Johnson to prison... 3
- Jennifer Napier-Pearce named editor of... 2
- Historic solar flight marks first... 1