The next Stockton? Illinois’ runaway debt affecting education, infrastructure
M. Spencer Green, Associated Press
Taxpayers in Illinois, home to the most underfunded pension system in the U.S., are starting to feel the sting of mismanaged debt as the poor condition of its public infrastructure becomes critical, according to the a recent report from the state’s budget task force.
More than 15 percent of Illinois’ 26,000 bridges were “structurally deficient or functionally obsolete,” in 2010, according to the report.
Check out more: These 9 states have dangerously underfunded pensions
The state cut it’s K-12 education funding by 3 percent from FY 2012.
“Illinois’ past fiscal choices and future threats challenge the state’s ability to meet its population’s basic needs, let alone accommodate future growth,” the task force said in the report. “Infrastructure is deteriorating. Education is threatened. Public safety, public health, and care for the needy all are at risk. Taxpayers and the state’s competitiveness are also at risk.”
The state has been underfunding its pension system since the early 1980s, according to the report. The result is an estimated $85 billion in unfunded pension liabilities, making it the most underfunded system in the country.
"Illinois’ aging and deteriorating infrastructure is in urgent need of immediate repairs to meet basic standards of public safety,” the task force said in the report. “Over the next several decades, Illinois’ infrastructure needs will likely exceed $300 billion, yet the state does not have a comprehensive plan to address this critical need.”
The task force called for immediate decisions on the state’s financial situation. In the report, the group suggests “spending cuts and revenue increases” to balance the budget.
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- 1 number you should check each year to avoid...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- Chobani founder and CEO Hamdi Ulukaya pledges...
- Hero2Hire helps veterans, spouses find...
- UESP to celebrate National 529 College...
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up... 17
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- More jobs are available, but new grads... 5
- Media CEOs are the highest-paid... 3
- Chobani founder and CEO Hamdi Ulukaya... 1
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs 1