A comfort food that makes you appreciate the good things in life
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and as a survivor, I really appreciate all the support shown by so many. It is a time of year that brings about thoughts of new beginnings, and so it is a perfect time of year to remind myself of how fortunate I am, not only because I survived cancer, but because there is so much I take for granted. It is the challenges in life that make you appreciate things.
My grandmother grew up during the Great Depression. She was one of 11 children and her father was a chicken farmer in Harrisburg, Pa.. My grandmother learned at a very early age what it was like to be hungry, to have only one dress to wear and how to make meals out of the necessities and what was on hand. Obviously, they used eggs and chicken, but that was only on special occasions.
She appreciates what she has, but still saves boxes, wrapping paper and plastic bags. Her younger years taught her many things, and she is one of the best cooks I know. I’ve raved about her before, but one of the things I enjoy most about her cooking is how her food makes you feel. Here is a recipe that is not only easy but is one of the homiest and most comforting foods I know. And the fact that it’s chicken is even more of a reason to celebrate my sweet grandma!
My chicken pot pie is perfectly flavored and so easy to make. I use the store-bought roasted chicken to make it even more convenient.
Belle’s Chicken Pot Pie
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
1 cup biscuit mix
½ cup milk
Mix together the soup, milk and seasonings. Stir in the vegetables and chicken. Pour into an 8-by-8 baking dish. In a separate bowl, mix together the biscuit mix, milk and egg. Spread this over the top on the chicken mixture. Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of
twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and
novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Updated newborn screening test picks up rare...
- Anything for Auni: A community rallies to...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex parents...
- The Clean Cut: Modern-day good Samaritan...
- 'Studio C' makes 'Breaking Bad' scenes family...
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an...
- New Zealand airline releases 'Hobbit' safety...
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to Christian...
- Stay lifted on adoptions by same-sex... 75
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' daughter sticks to... 16
- Family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart 10
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Expert advice on no-spank discipline... 8
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 8
- Watch: Wheatley conference on family 7