BYU football vs. Georgia Tech: How the Cougars match up against the Yellow Jackets
The Yellowjackets throw more than most traditional triple-option offenses. They average 158.1 yards per game and a somewhat scary 18.1 yards per reception — relying on surprise with play-action.
Its primary play-maker in the passing game is sophomore Jeff Greene (6-4, 210) who has just 12 receptions on the year for 233 yards and two touchdowns.
Cougar question mark
BYU’s safeties play aggressive and will need to stay aggressive in helping defend Georgia Tech’s rushing attack, but will they prove susceptible to play-action? Joe Sampson and Daniel Sorensen both need to be on their toes throughout the game as the Yellowjackets most certainly will be testing them deep on occasion off of play-action.
“We need to be ready for everything, and everyone needs to focus on their assignments,” said Tialavea. “It takes a complete team effort to defend an offense like this, and we need to give it our all. We have a bye week after this game, so we’ll be sure to go all out.”
Georgia Tech should convert on a few long opportunities and take advantage of an aggressive BYU secondary. The Yellowjackets won’t try many passes, but the passes they do try will likely go deep.
This is likely to be a relatively high-scoring affair. Look for BYU to find its best production of the year on offense and for it to give up similar yardage as it did against Oregon State. Turnovers will be key, and BYU simply needs to win the turnover battle if it hopes to secure a win on the road against a somewhat average Georgia Tech team. This isn’t an easy prospect with Riley Nelson at the helm, but look for the embattled BYU quarterback to be more composed and accurate than he was last week against Notre Dame.
Score: BYU 27 Georgia Tech 24
- Reasons for Travis Wilson's confidence:...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5 in...
- Saturday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Kent Myers should have started for...
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to Utah next...
- In critical situations, BYU offense, defense...
- BYU report card: Defense holds its own...
- Nerves? Not for Alec Burks, Utah Jazz going...
- With difficult September schedule over,... 55
- Dick Harmon: After week of soul... 40
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 27
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 25
- Utah's win over Oregon proof of what... 24
- Former BYU quarterback John Beck says... 23
- BYU overcomes mistakes, downs UConn,... 22
- New Utah basketball facility has high... 21