CHICAGO – Since Utah Valley University's first running in the Great West Conference Cross Country Meet, the league has known no other women's champion.
The Wolverines hope to keep it that way at the GWC championships Saturday at Montrose Harbor in Chicago.
UVU won its first of four straight titles in 2008, while the men won their first of three straight in 2009.
Last year, the UVU women won the conference title with 37 points, while the men won with 43 points. The meet was contested at Ray Richards Golf Course in Grand Forks, N.D.
In early September, both Wolverine squads were selected by the league's coaches to win the title. The women garnered all six first-place votes, while the men earned all five first-place votes.
Darian Sharp, who has been named the GWC Runner of the Week two times this season, and Krystal Harper lead the women's team, which is coming off a first-place finish in its division at NCAA Pre-Nationals two weeks ago in Louisville, Kent.
At NCAA Pre-Nationals, Sharp finished seventh (21 minutes, 29.1 seconds), while Harper finished the 6K-race in 22nd (21:54.8).
On the men's side, Nielson placed 44th (23:59.8) in the 8K-race, followed by McCabe 97th (24:28.3); Macy Butterfield 128th (24:40.2); Mike Felix 180th (25:06.5); Trevor Baker 207th (25:20.8); Chris Dorton 231st (25:39.7); and Trevor Sharp 238th (25:44.9).
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33