CHICAGO – Since Utah Valley University's first running in the Great West Conference Cross Country Meet, the league has known no other women's champion.
The Wolverines hope to keep it that way at the GWC championships Saturday at Montrose Harbor in Chicago.
UVU won its first of four straight titles in 2008, while the men won their first of three straight in 2009.
Last year, the UVU women won the conference title with 37 points, while the men won with 43 points. The meet was contested at Ray Richards Golf Course in Grand Forks, N.D.
In early September, both Wolverine squads were selected by the league's coaches to win the title. The women garnered all six first-place votes, while the men earned all five first-place votes.
Darian Sharp, who has been named the GWC Runner of the Week two times this season, and Krystal Harper lead the women's team, which is coming off a first-place finish in its division at NCAA Pre-Nationals two weeks ago in Louisville, Kent.
At NCAA Pre-Nationals, Sharp finished seventh (21 minutes, 29.1 seconds), while Harper finished the 6K-race in 22nd (21:54.8).
On the men's side, Nielson placed 44th (23:59.8) in the 8K-race, followed by McCabe 97th (24:28.3); Macy Butterfield 128th (24:40.2); Mike Felix 180th (25:06.5); Trevor Baker 207th (25:20.8); Chris Dorton 231st (25:39.7); and Trevor Sharp 238th (25:44.9).
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25