Utah Jazz make final preseason cuts, waive Chris Quinn and Darnell Jackson
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Jazz's roster is set for the beginning of the 2012-13 season.
Point guard Chris Quinn and power forward Darnell Jackson were cut by the team Thursday night following the Jazz's preseason-ending win over Portland.
The organization won't make it official until Friday, but the roster moves were confirmed to the Deseret News by sources with knowledge of the transactions.
Utah's roster now sits at 15, the NBA's maximum. Teams officially have until Oct. 28 to trim their squads to between 13-15.
Neither Quinn nor Jackson, players with previous NBA experience, saw the court Thursday night.
Quinn, a 6-2 guard from Notre Dame, averaged 1.8 points and 1.4 assists in his five appearances this preseason.
Having previously played for the Heat, Nets and Spurs, Quinn tried to take getting cut in stride.
"Oh yeah," he said. "You'll see me somewhere."
Quinn, who has 234 games of regular-season experience, spoke positively of his three-plus-week experience with the Jazz.
"You learn new things every day, try to become a better player, a better person," he said. "This is a first-class organization that does things the right way. There's a lot you can pick up."
Jackson played in six games, averaging 1.7 points and 0.7 rebounds. The 6-9 big man from Kansas might be most remembered for his hard fouls in the exhibition, including being ejected at the end of the Clippers game last Saturday. He has previously played in 138 games with Cleveland, Milwaukee and Sacramento.
Second-round draft pick Kevin Murphy made the final cut, and the team has until Jan. 10 to make a decision on his future. The Jazz, however, like what the shooting guard with a partially non-guaranteed contract has to offer.
Veteran Raja Bell remains one of the 15 Jazz players, although he will continue to stay away from the team until a contract resolution can be made.
EMAIL: email@example.com TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 103
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 66
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 46
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 31