Brandon Flowers discusses LDS faith on 'The Colbert Report'
Rock band The Killers appeared on "The Colbert Report" on Oct. 18 to promote their new album "Battle Born," and before they performed, host Stephen Colbert sat down with lead singer Brandon Flowers and drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr. for an interview.
Colbert began by saying he was a fan of the band and that presidential candidate Mitt Romney has mentioned he likes the group.
“He said you guys are on his iPod,” Colbert said. “I mean that is a cool boost you cannot buy.”
Flowers responded, “We feel like our music is for everybody. We don’t want to keep it from anybody.”
Colbert quickly recognized the opportunity and capitalized by saying, “Of course not. Like Romney, you’re for 100 percent of America.”
The interview then moved on to Flowers' religion.
“Now you’ve met him (Romney), right?” Colbert asked. Flowers and Vannucci both nodded their heads. “Now you are Mormon, correct?” Colbert asked Flowers. “OK,” Colbert said, pausing before his next question. “Do all Mormons meet each other?”
Flowers, laughing, assured Colbert that doesn’t happen. “There are about 14 million of us now,” Flowers said. “So we haven’t all met each other yet.”
The topic then changed to the band’s image of being “clean cut.”
“Do you ever trash a hotel room and then clean it up again because you’re so nice?” Colbert asked.
Flowers explained this his mom and other family members used to clean hotel rooms, and that has impacted him when staying in hotels. Vannucci also chimed in with his advice, “Always tip the maid,” he said.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor.
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL Team...
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- Mormon humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari, family...
- Forbes contributor: What entrepreneurs,...
- 6 ways youths, leaders can reboot the church...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- President Uchtdorf speaks at inaugural John...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 122
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand... 105
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 72
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 39
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 23
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Faith leaders call for religious... 20
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming... 12