Rock band The Killers appeared on "The Colbert Report" on Oct. 18 to promote their new album "Battle Born," and before they performed, host Stephen Colbert sat down with lead singer Brandon Flowers and drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr. for an interview.
Colbert began by saying he was a fan of the band and that presidential candidate Mitt Romney has mentioned he likes the group.
“He said you guys are on his iPod,” Colbert said. “I mean that is a cool boost you cannot buy.”
Flowers responded, “We feel like our music is for everybody. We don’t want to keep it from anybody.”
Colbert quickly recognized the opportunity and capitalized by saying, “Of course not. Like Romney, you’re for 100 percent of America.”
The interview then moved on to Flowers' religion.
“Now you’ve met him (Romney), right?” Colbert asked. Flowers and Vannucci both nodded their heads. “Now you are Mormon, correct?” Colbert asked Flowers. “OK,” Colbert said, pausing before his next question. “Do all Mormons meet each other?”
Flowers, laughing, assured Colbert that doesn’t happen. “There are about 14 million of us now,” Flowers said. “So we haven’t all met each other yet.”
The topic then changed to the band’s image of being “clean cut.”
“Do you ever trash a hotel room and then clean it up again because you’re so nice?” Colbert asked.
Flowers explained this his mom and other family members used to clean hotel rooms, and that has impacted him when staying in hotels. Vannucci also chimed in with his advice, “Always tip the maid,” he said.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor.
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Mormon mom, Mrs. Mexico, sticks to her...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Arizona family shares Christmas greetings...
- Little difference between PG-13 and R-rated...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 87
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its... 86
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 19
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 17
- Catholic high school teacher fired... 16
- Defending the Faith: The collective... 16
- Putin defends Russian conservative values 13
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 13