Murdock Canal Trail expected to be complete by next summer
PROVO — Work on the Murdock Canal Trail is one year ahead of schedule, with the multi-use corridor slated to open next summer.
The 16-mile trail will include three paved lanes — a bike lane in each direction and a pedestrian lane — as well as an unpaved equestrian trail.
Paving of the main trail is 90 percent complete, and the six trailheads are more than 75 percent complete.
Area residents anxious to use the trail are reminded by the Provo River Water Users Association that it remains off limits. People found trespassing or littering will be fined. As section becomes open, signs will be posted advising that the trail can be used.
The trail is being put in as part of the Provo Reservoir Canal Enclosure Project, which is 95 percent complete.
All utility relocations, backfilling and grading are complete for the 21-mile enclosure project. Earlier this year, the communications system and controls were tested and the pipeline delivered water without interruption to water users and cities in northern Utah County and Salt Lake County.
The canal is one of the main water-delivery arteries along the Wasatch Front and was the largest canal in Utah County. Enclosing the canal provides additional safety, improves water quality and saves water from seepage and evaporation. Before it was enclosed, officials estimate the canal lost about 10 percent of the water it was designed to transport.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Woman accused of leaving young son outside...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 37
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21