Murdock Canal Trail expected to be complete by next summer
PROVO — Work on the Murdock Canal Trail is one year ahead of schedule, with the multi-use corridor slated to open next summer.
The 16-mile trail will include three paved lanes — a bike lane in each direction and a pedestrian lane — as well as an unpaved equestrian trail.
Paving of the main trail is 90 percent complete, and the six trailheads are more than 75 percent complete.
Area residents anxious to use the trail are reminded by the Provo River Water Users Association that it remains off limits. People found trespassing or littering will be fined. As section becomes open, signs will be posted advising that the trail can be used.
The trail is being put in as part of the Provo Reservoir Canal Enclosure Project, which is 95 percent complete.
All utility relocations, backfilling and grading are complete for the 21-mile enclosure project. Earlier this year, the communications system and controls were tested and the pipeline delivered water without interruption to water users and cities in northern Utah County and Salt Lake County.
The canal is one of the main water-delivery arteries along the Wasatch Front and was the largest canal in Utah County. Enclosing the canal provides additional safety, improves water quality and saves water from seepage and evaporation. Before it was enclosed, officials estimate the canal lost about 10 percent of the water it was designed to transport.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- World War II veterans grateful for...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 62
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20