SALT LAKE CITY — State officials Thursday issued an advisory regarding elevated mercury levels found in striped bass in two southern Utah bodies of water.
The warning includes fish in Lake Powell from Dangling Rope Marina, south to the dam in Kane and San Juan counties, and Quail Creek Reservoir in Washington County.
The advisory also comes with revised consumption guidelines.
Pregnant women and children under age 6 should limit their consumption of striped bass to one 4-ounce meal per month, the advisory states. Women of childbearing age and children between ages 6 and 16 should limit their consumption of striped bass to two 8-ounce meals per month. Adult women past childbearing age and men older than 16 should limit their consumption of striped bass to eight 8-ounce meals per month.
The health department advises that consumption of fish over those levels over a long period of time could result in an intake of mercury that exceeds federal health recommendations.
Mercury is a naturally occurring element that can be transformed into methylmercury, a toxic form found in some natural waters. Chronic exposure to low concentrations of methylmercury may result in neurological effects in developing fetuses and children.
Previous sampling of mercury had found elevated levels in brown trout at Jordanelle and Porcupine reservoirs, Weber and Duchesne rivers and the east fork of the Sevier River. Other species of fish in Utah found to have elevated mercury include rainbow trout, wiper and smallmouth bass.
Since 2000, fish in 322 water bodies in Utah have been tested for mercury. Fish with elevated levels of mercury have been found in 21 of the 322 waterbodies.
For a complete list of fish advisories and revised consumption guidelines visit www.fishadvisories.utah.gov.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- A year later, a look at the Utah decision on...
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Willard hunting guide shot while accompanying...
- Police looking for man who allegedly fired at...
- Police searching for two men following...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 75
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 53
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 29
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Plan to relocate prison to Salt Lake... 14