SALT LAKE CITY — State officials Thursday issued an advisory regarding elevated mercury levels found in striped bass in two southern Utah bodies of water.
The warning includes fish in Lake Powell from Dangling Rope Marina, south to the dam in Kane and San Juan counties, and Quail Creek Reservoir in Washington County.
The advisory also comes with revised consumption guidelines.
Pregnant women and children under age 6 should limit their consumption of striped bass to one 4-ounce meal per month, the advisory states. Women of childbearing age and children between ages 6 and 16 should limit their consumption of striped bass to two 8-ounce meals per month. Adult women past childbearing age and men older than 16 should limit their consumption of striped bass to eight 8-ounce meals per month.
The health department advises that consumption of fish over those levels over a long period of time could result in an intake of mercury that exceeds federal health recommendations.
Mercury is a naturally occurring element that can be transformed into methylmercury, a toxic form found in some natural waters. Chronic exposure to low concentrations of methylmercury may result in neurological effects in developing fetuses and children.
Previous sampling of mercury had found elevated levels in brown trout at Jordanelle and Porcupine reservoirs, Weber and Duchesne rivers and the east fork of the Sevier River. Other species of fish in Utah found to have elevated mercury include rainbow trout, wiper and smallmouth bass.
Since 2000, fish in 322 water bodies in Utah have been tested for mercury. Fish with elevated levels of mercury have been found in 21 of the 322 waterbodies.
For a complete list of fish advisories and revised consumption guidelines visit www.fishadvisories.utah.gov.
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 30
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7