Man accused of brandishing weapons outside West Valley City gas station
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man is facing multiple weapons and assault charges after police say he positioned himself outside a West Valley City gas station with a loaded rifle and handgun.
Maxwell Scott Forrest, 30, who also goes by the name Forrest Scott Maxwell, faces two counts of possession of firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony, and three counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
According to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court, Forrest argued with an employee at the gas station at 4110 S. 5600 West on Friday, telling him, "I'm going to get you."
Forrest returned Saturday with a rifle and sheets of plywood that he set up as a barricade outside the gas station, according to the charges. Police say he pointed the rifle at the gas station employee and people inside the store and made threatening hand gestures.
An officer who arrived on scene said Forrest had signs protesting police brutality, charges state. Forrest is accused of pointing the rifle at the officer as well. Police recovered the rifle, a handgun and multiple magazines from the scene.
A search of court records indicate Forrest was convicted of two third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault in May 2011.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 22
- Utah council wants governor, A.G. probe... 18
- FEC complaint filed against Chaffetz by... 16
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 12
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 11