Man accused of brandishing weapons outside West Valley City gas station
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man is facing multiple weapons and assault charges after police say he positioned himself outside a West Valley City gas station with a loaded rifle and handgun.
Maxwell Scott Forrest, 30, who also goes by the name Forrest Scott Maxwell, faces two counts of possession of firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony, and three counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
According to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court, Forrest argued with an employee at the gas station at 4110 S. 5600 West on Friday, telling him, "I'm going to get you."
Forrest returned Saturday with a rifle and sheets of plywood that he set up as a barricade outside the gas station, according to the charges. Police say he pointed the rifle at the gas station employee and people inside the store and made threatening hand gestures.
An officer who arrived on scene said Forrest had signs protesting police brutality, charges state. Forrest is accused of pointing the rifle at the officer as well. Police recovered the rifle, a handgun and multiple magazines from the scene.
A search of court records indicate Forrest was convicted of two third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault in May 2011.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in state...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12