Man accused of brandishing weapons outside West Valley City gas station
SALT LAKE CITY — A Salt Lake City man is facing multiple weapons and assault charges after police say he positioned himself outside a West Valley City gas station with a loaded rifle and handgun.
Maxwell Scott Forrest, 30, who also goes by the name Forrest Scott Maxwell, faces two counts of possession of firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony, and three counts of aggravated assault, a third-degree felony.
According to charges filed Wednesday in 3rd District Court, Forrest argued with an employee at the gas station at 4110 S. 5600 West on Friday, telling him, "I'm going to get you."
Forrest returned Saturday with a rifle and sheets of plywood that he set up as a barricade outside the gas station, according to the charges. Police say he pointed the rifle at the gas station employee and people inside the store and made threatening hand gestures.
An officer who arrived on scene said Forrest had signs protesting police brutality, charges state. Forrest is accused of pointing the rifle at the officer as well. Police recovered the rifle, a handgun and multiple magazines from the scene.
A search of court records indicate Forrest was convicted of two third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault in May 2011.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14