Years ago, my daughter was enamoured with a combination of new things she was learning that included Egyptian archeology, the Peace Corps and anything that related to tropical climates. She painted palm trees constantly, dreamed of exotic travel and wanted to end third-world hunger. I’ll always remember one conversation as we sat on her bed and I described the idea that missionary service could give her all the adventure she craved as well as intimate exposure to new cultures, food and educational experiences with the added protection and purpose of a black name tag. I found South Texas to be a surprising cultural adventure for me. Leaving home — wherever it is — was the key.
• Be selfless
Jesus Christ’s ministry and gospel teaching often disrupts conventional wisdom or narrow-minded thinking. Those who look to his example, as well as that of his disciples, learn the basic truth that losing ourselves to service is the perfect way to “find ourselves.” So it shouldn’t be a surprise that missionary opportunities fall smack-dab in the middle of focused self-improvement for young adults. Selflessly sacrificing to serve others is the perfect way to unleash one's potential.
Many are jumping at the chance to serve a full-time mission sooner rather than later, an opportunity and blessing to serve in the world bravely and selflessly for a brighter future for everyone.
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's...
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from around...
- How cemeteries and smartphones play a role in...
- Family experiences a memorial miracle
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 135
- Arianna Rees: Why Lindsey Stirling's... 79
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 22
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4
- About Utah: Reliving their great escape... 4
- Obama to Jews: Shared values compel... 3