Years ago, my daughter was enamoured with a combination of new things she was learning that included Egyptian archeology, the Peace Corps and anything that related to tropical climates. She painted palm trees constantly, dreamed of exotic travel and wanted to end third-world hunger. I’ll always remember one conversation as we sat on her bed and I described the idea that missionary service could give her all the adventure she craved as well as intimate exposure to new cultures, food and educational experiences with the added protection and purpose of a black name tag. I found South Texas to be a surprising cultural adventure for me. Leaving home — wherever it is — was the key.
• Be selfless
Jesus Christ’s ministry and gospel teaching often disrupts conventional wisdom or narrow-minded thinking. Those who look to his example, as well as that of his disciples, learn the basic truth that losing ourselves to service is the perfect way to “find ourselves.” So it shouldn’t be a surprise that missionary opportunities fall smack-dab in the middle of focused self-improvement for young adults. Selflessly sacrificing to serve others is the perfect way to unleash one's potential.
Many are jumping at the chance to serve a full-time mission sooner rather than later, an opportunity and blessing to serve in the world bravely and selflessly for a brighter future for everyone.
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 45
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4