How to get a free cellular phone from the Obama Administration
Making the rounds on the Internet is a YouTube video of an Obama supporter in Cleveland, Ohio, who claims she got a free phone from Obama. But is the claim true? Is it possible to get a free “Obamaphone” from the government or is this an urban myth?
"The 'phone' part is true," James Taranto wrote for The Wall Street Journal. "There is a federally mandated, state-administered program known as Lifeline that subsidizes telephone service for low-income subscribers."
Obamaphone.net reports "Lifeline is a government sponsored program paid for by the Universal Service Fund administered by the Federal Communications Commission." Customers currently paying for service may find a fee on their telephone bill called the Universal Service Fund that supports the Lifeline program.
Qualifying for the phone varies from state to state, but Snopes.com reports that participants must have an income that is at or below 135 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, or take part in at least one government program including, but not limited to food stamps, federal housing, Medicaid, free-lunch program, Head Start or state assistance programs.
With the popularity of cellphones and drop in prices for wireless technology, the Lifeline program has been expanded to include cellphones. Previously it was only available for a home phone. Referring to the YouTube video, Forbes.com contributor Mark Hendrickson said, "The free cell phones about which the woman enthused were the result of policies that predated the Obama presidency."
Ryan Morgenegg is a multimedia specialist for the Deseret News.
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter...
- How Facebook plans to change the world with...
- In the 21st century, 'spiritual branding' is...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- AT&T, as new owner of DirecTV, offers...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 18
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Who wins and loses under Obama's... 12
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 5
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- There's a bipartisan new approach to... 3
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2