UVU soccer: Goalkeeper Lauren Sack named GWC Player of the Week
NAPERVILLE, Ill. -- Utah Valley University soccer goalkeeper Lauren Sack has been named the Great West Conference Defensive Player of the Week, as announced Tuesday by the league office. This is the second time this season Sack has taken the award, as she received the same honor earlier in the month on Oct. 2.
Delaware State's Taylor Addison was recognized as the Offensive POW.
Sack, a junior from Reno, Nev., recorded her third clean sheet on the season in a win over conference-foe Houston Baptist. She stopped seven shots as the Wolverines grabbed a 2-0 victory to claim sole possession of first place in the GWC standings.
Addison, a freshman from Mt. Vernon, N.Y., scored two goals in a 2-1 conference victory over South Carolina State this past week. The forward scored the game-winner after taking the ball 50-plus yards down the field before placing the ball in the top right portion of the net in the 62nd minute. She tied the game in the 34th minute, with an open net goal from five yards out off an assist by teammate Kelly Pelz-Butler. The goals were Addison's third and fourth of her rookie year. In total, she recorded five shots with three on goal in the game.
Also nominated were Delaware State's goalie Katelyn Koslosky, Houston Baptist's defender Blake Martin, NJIT's midfielder Meryl Hershfield and goalkeeper Samantha Bersett, and Utah Valley's midfielder Robison.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 49
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 31
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26