Each step I take will leave its mark, for each step leads me somewhere. And though the end is dim to sight, the steps I take, if true and right, will bring me exaltation. I know I do not walk alone. My footsteps are protected by one who cares to see my life shine forth in beauty and love and light — exalted and perfected (excerpt from seminary song, "Quest," lyrics by Susan Evans McCloud, 1977).
And our knowledge of “that One” helps us in our quest to gain knowledge of ourselves. And with that knowledge comes light, joy and power to become like him — because we are his — and he is most truly ours.
Brigham Young, in "Journal of Discourses," said, "There is no spirit but what was pure and holy when it came here from the celestial world. They were not produced by any being less than our Father in heaven. He is the Father of our spirits; and if we could know, understand, and do his will, every soul would be prepared to return back into his presence.
"And when they get there, they would see that they had formerly lived there for ages, that they had previously been acquainted with every nook and corner, with the palaces, walks and gardens; and they would embrace their Father, and He would embrace them and say, ‘My son, my daughter, I have you again.’ And the child would say, ‘O my Father, my Father, I am here again.’ ”
Susan Evans McCloud is author of more than 40 books and has published screenplays, a book of poetry and lyrics, including two songs in the LDS hymnbook. She has six children and blogs at susanevansmccloud.blogspot.com.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 21
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 8