2. Stir in the tomato paste and tomatoes, milk, onion, peppers, sugar and garlic. Turn heat to medium and allow the mixture to simmer about 10 minutes.
3. While soup simmers, cut cream cheese in several chunks. Add the chunks to the soup, and whisk until they are thoroughly incorporated.
4. Let the soup simmer about 5 minutes more to allow flavors to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with chopped green peppers, herbs, cheddar or Parmesan cheese.
Options: Add 1 to 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken during the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
SAUSAGE SOUP WITH PINCH NOODLES
Makes: 6 servings
1/2 pound dried pinto beans
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion
½ pound smoked sausage
2 tablespoons flour
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
5 cups water
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in thing, 2-inch-long strips
1 small parsnips, peeled and cut in thin, 3-inch-long stips
1 ½ teaspoons white vinegar
½ cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
½ cup flour
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoon water, optional
Place beans in colander and rinse well under cold running water. Drain beans, please in a medium bowl with enough water to cover them, and soak overnight.
The next day, drain beans in a colander and set aside. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat, add onion and sausage and sauté until onion is translucent and sausage is browned. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is light brown. Stir in beans, paprika, 5 cups water, bay leaves, salt, carrot and parsnip. Cover and simmer over low to medium-low heat about 2 hours. Bring soup to a boil, add Pinch Noodles, and boil gently until noodles are tender. Reduce heat and continue simmering, if necessary, until beans are tender.
For noodles: Combine flour, salt and egg in a medium bowl. Knead until stiff dough forms. Add 1 teaspoon water, if necessary. Flatten dough between your palms until it is about 1/8-inch thick. Pinch off 1/2-inch pieces of dough and drop into boiling soup.
Just before serving, stir in vinegar. Place 1 cup hot soup in a small bowl; add 1/2 cup sour cream, and stir until smooth. Add sour cream mixture to soup pot and stir well until heated through. Do not boil. Garnish individual servings with a dollop of sour cream.
— "Lion House Soups and Stews," compiled by Brenda Hopkin and David Bench, published by Deseret Book
If you go ...
What: Valerie Phillips book signing and soup samples
When: Saturday, Oct. 27, 4-5 p.m.
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
What: Really Big Cooking Show (class, samples and book signing)
When: Saturday, Nov. 3, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
Where: Show Barn, Thanksgiving Point, Lehi
Note: Tickets are $16
What: Valerie Phillips book signings and soup samples
When: Saturday, Nov. 10
Where: 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at Orem Seagull Bookstore, 331 E. University Parkway, Orem, and 1:30-2:30 p.m., Lindon Seagull Bookstore, 677 N. State Street, Lindon
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- To B12 or not to B12?
- Chris Hicks: ‘Joy’ and a special...
- You should learn about Zika if you're...
- How to make your children feel comfortable...
- Erin Stewart: The cry-it-out method: Child...
- Mom's 'happy Chewbacca' video shatters...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...