¼ cup fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon sugar
1 envelope turkey gravy mix (optional)
½ cup sour cream
1. Melt the butter in a nonstick 4-6-quart stock pot over high heat.
2. Add the butter and onions to the hot pot and stir, about 2-3 minutes. Add the chiles, tomatoes, turkey, beans, stock and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Ladle each serving and top with a heaping spoonful of sour cream to swirl into the soup.
FRENCH ONION SOUP
Makes: 4 servings
3 cups sliced onions
¼ cup butter
2 cups beef stock (or 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons beef soup base)
2 cups chicken stock (or 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons chicken soup base)
½ teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper
Parmesan Toast Slices
1 loaf French bread
Butter, room temperature
Parmesan, Swiss or favorite cheese, shredded
Sauté onion in melted butter in medium saucepan over medium heat until dark golden brown (caramelized), but not burned. Add beef stock, chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan Toast Slices just before serving.
For toast slices: Slice French bread into thin slices and place on a large baking sheet. Spread each slice with softened butter. Sprinkle liberally with Parmesan cheese. Place slices under broiler and toast until light brown. Serve whole or sliced.
— "Lion House Soups and Stews," compiled by Brenda Hopkin and David Bench, published by Deseret Book
CREAMY TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP
Prep time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 1 ½-cup servings
Many tortellini soup recipes call for cooking the pasta in a separate pot. This recipe eliminates that step by cooking the tortellini in broth, then adding the rest of the soup ingredients. The cream cheese thickens the soup and adds richness. You can use lite cream cheese, but plan on whisking it longer to remove any lumps.
2 14-ounce cans (or 4 cups) vegetable or chicken broth
1 9-ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 15-ounce diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon dried chopped onions
1/3 cup frozen chopped green pepper (or about 1/4 cup fresh)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup milk
8 ounces cream cheese (or lite cream cheese)
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup shredded cheddar or Parmesan, optional
1. In a large pot, bring broth to a boil. Add tortellini to broth and cook 5 minutes.
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey of...
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders the...
- 4 interactive ways to teach your kids about...
- Over and out: TV flops, exits and endings in...
- 'American Idol' alum Brooke White creates...
- 4 in 10 new marriages are multiracial in...
- Christmas I Remember Best: Riding dreams on a...
- 'Unbroken' faith: The religious journey... 8
- Some communities suggest penalizing... 5
- Why you should think twice before... 3
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas... 3
- Bittersweet Christmas: A woman ponders... 2
- 4 in 10 new marriages are multiracial... 2
- The 37 most charitable celebrities 1
- There are many ways to see 'A Christmas... 1