Westminster basketball: Women begin year with No. 5 national ranking
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Westminster College women’s basketball team received a No. 5 ranking in the 2012-13 NAIA Division I Women's Basketball Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll; the national office announced Tuesday.
The No. 5 ranking is the highest for a Westminster team in school history. The Griffins received a No. 8 national ranking on three occasions during the 2010-11 season to establish a school-best. The previous high for a preseason ranking was the No. 9 spot the team received prior to the start of last season.
Westminster returns nine players from a team that finished 23-9 last season and advanced to a sixth-straight NAIA National Championship. Among that group of returners is 2012 NAIA Third Team All-American Nicole Yazzie. The senior guard was just named the Frontier Conference Preseason Co-Player of the Year and has played in 99 games at Westminster while averaging 12.9 points per game.
The Griffins begin the 2012-13 season Nov. 8, when they host The Master’s (Calif.) in the Behnken Field House.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Brad Rock: Jazz's biggest star still waiting...
- Keeping it rolling: Utes top Trojans in... 88
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense needs Bronco... 59
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 51
- High school football: State tournament... 49
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42