After weeks of rumors, Apple officially announced the iPad mini, with prices starting at $329 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model, $170 cheaper than the iPad 4, which was also announced at Apple’s live event.
The iPad mini has a 7.9-inch screen, about 20 percent smaller than the iPad’s 9.7-inch screen. The iPad mini weighs 0.68 pounds and is about as thick as a pencil.
"It's as light as a pad of paper," said Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller.
The Wi-Fi version iPad mini will be available for preorder Oct. 26 and available for shipment on Nov. 2.
Along with the iPad mini, Apple announced the Mac mini for $599 and the 13-inch retina display MacBook Pro for $1,699.
Apple also announced thinner versions of Apple’s desktop computer, the iMac, which comes in a 27-inch display and a 21.5-inch display, costing $1,299 and $1,799, respectively.
“This has been truly a prolific year of innovation for Apple.” said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple at the event announcing the release.
Many of the new products feature hardware adjustments that reduce size and weight.
Due to the new product releases, older Apple products cost less. One example is the latest generation of MacBook Pro starting at $1,199.
Customers on a tighter budget are more likely to afford Mac products, so long as they are willing to own older models.
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- The battle over coal struggles to find a...
- There's more to why Americans don't save than...
- Utah Food Bank security breach exposes 10,000...
- Startup hopes to help children with autism in...
- How Medicare is trying to start a healthier...
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from Salt Lake...
- Why China's market slump is good news for...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 20
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic... 12
- Elected officials, business leaders... 7
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from... 3
- There's more to why Americans don't... 3
- The battle over coal struggles to find... 2
- China probing brokers, regulators for... 1