After weeks of rumors, Apple officially announced the iPad mini, with prices starting at $329 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model, $170 cheaper than the iPad 4, which was also announced at Apple’s live event.
The iPad mini has a 7.9-inch screen, about 20 percent smaller than the iPad’s 9.7-inch screen. The iPad mini weighs 0.68 pounds and is about as thick as a pencil.
"It's as light as a pad of paper," said Apple's marketing chief Phil Schiller.
The Wi-Fi version iPad mini will be available for preorder Oct. 26 and available for shipment on Nov. 2.
Along with the iPad mini, Apple announced the Mac mini for $599 and the 13-inch retina display MacBook Pro for $1,699.
Apple also announced thinner versions of Apple’s desktop computer, the iMac, which comes in a 27-inch display and a 21.5-inch display, costing $1,299 and $1,799, respectively.
“This has been truly a prolific year of innovation for Apple.” said Tim Cook, CEO of Apple at the event announcing the release.
Many of the new products feature hardware adjustments that reduce size and weight.
Due to the new product releases, older Apple products cost less. One example is the latest generation of MacBook Pro starting at $1,199.
Customers on a tighter budget are more likely to afford Mac products, so long as they are willing to own older models.
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Small town residents: Chevron pizza 'scandal'...
- Target data breach: Credit monitoring will...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Doug Robinson: Gail Miller — Carrying...
- Target tech chief resigns as retailer...
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 12
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 12
- About Utah: He came, he saw, he fit in 8
- Report: Utah made big money by keeping... 8
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 8
- Demolition underway on major downtown... 5
- Doug Robinson: Gail Miller —... 4