PORTLAND — The Portland Trail Blazers beat the Jazz 120-114 Monday night.
One turning point for the Jazz might have been before the game even started when Jazz players took too long to take the court, resulting in a delay-of-game infraction. After leading 10-4 early in the first quarter, the Jazz allowed Portland to go on a 21-4 run.
Utah was never able to recover, trailing 41-26 at the end of the first quarter and 70-46 at halftime. Portland shot 80 percent from the field in the first quarter and made 10-of-its-first-13 shots in the game.
After trailing by as much as 27 points in the third quarter, the Jazz chipped the deficit down to 15 when Portland drained a 3-pointer to grow the lead once again. Portland made 12 3-point shots in the game. By the time the Jazz got to within 10 points of the Blazers, there were less than two minutes left in the game.
As a team, the Blazers were on fire throughout, shooting 57.5 percent from the field and 48 percent from beyond the arc. Portland's Nicolas Batum led all scorers with 27 points. Weber State alum Damian Lillard added 21 points and 8 assists. Portland had five players reach double-figures in scoring.
One bright side for the Jazz was Enes Kanter. The second-year big man from Turkey scored 18 points on 7-7 shooting and led Utah in scoring. Six different Jazz players scored in double-figures. Alec Burks had 14 points on 5-8 shooting.
Both teams had a lot of turnovers in the up-tempo game, as the Jazz turned the ball over 22 times, while the Blazers had 25 turnovers.
The Jazz fall to 4-3 in the preseason while the Blazers climb to 3-3.
The Trail Blazers will travel to Salt Lake City to play the Jazz Thursday night at 7 p.m.
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 55
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 53
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 25