USU soccer: Mulford earns WAC Soccer Goalkeeper of the Week honors
Utah State soccer player Ashlyn Mulford was named the Western Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week; the league announced Monday. This was Mulford’s fifth WAC Goalkeeper of the Week honor this season.
Mulford is the third Aggie student-athlete this week to be honored by the WAC as Shay Sorensen was named WAC Volleyball Player of the Week and Nick Diaz earned WAC Football Special Teams Player of the Week.
The senior goalkeeper from West Valley City, Utah (Cyprus HS), kept San Jose State off the board in the Aggies’ 1-0 win over San Jose State last week. In the Aggies only match of the week, Mulford recorded three saves in 90 minutes to record her sixth complete shutout and USU’s eighth of the season. She kept an aggressive Spartan squad from finding the back of the net as SJSU had seven first-half shots. The win helped Utah State remain in first place in the WAC with one match remaining on the Aggies’ schedule.
Denver forward Kaitlin Bast earned WAC Offensive Player of the Week honors after turning in a five-point performance in the Pioneers’ final home stand of the regular season. Bast assisted striking-partner Kristen Hamilton’s opening goal Friday night, before responding quickly to a UTSA goal with her 78th-minute strike to give DU a two-goal lead.
Texas State’s Alissa Scott was named WAC Defensive Player of the Week for anchoring the Bobcat backline that allowed just one goal in 180 minutes of action last week.
The Aggies will close out the regular season this week with the WAC title still on the line. USU is 10-2-6 this season and 5-0-2 in league game, which is good enough for first place in the conference standings with 17 points. USU ends the regular season against Louisiana Tech on Sunday, Oct. 28, at 12 p.m. at Chuck and Gloria Bell Soccer Field.
As always, admission to all Utah State soccer matches is free.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron in...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47