SALT LAKE CITY — The Downtown Alliance has installed two cameras on a city storefront, allowing Internet users 24-hour access to activity on Main Street.
Located on the Frank Building, 270 S. Main, the cameras offer a 180-degree field of view, including the Gallivan Plaza TRAX stop and the corner of 300 South and Main Street, as well as sidewalk activity.
"The primary reason is to let people know about the great things happening on Main Street," said Downtown Alliance executive director Jason Mathis. "In addition to that, if it helps prevent any illegal activity, that's not a bad thing, but that would be the icing on the cake."
For several years, Main Street was the center for the Downtown Rising project, as many buildings sat vacant or in various phases of renovation.
Many projects in the central business district were completed in recent years, focusing much of downtown's activity on and around Main Street. Downtown Alliance officials say raising awareness to the center of downtown could appeal to visitors or residents looking to explore the bustling culture not found in other parts of the city or state.
Increased curiosities in the wide variety of options available on Main Street were also reasons to share access to the cameras, the Downtown Alliance said. The live feed to the cameras can be found at www.downtownslc.org/mainstreet.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 43
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23