USU football: Nick Diaz named WAC Special Teams Player of the Week
Utah State redshirt sophomore placekicker Nick Diaz was named the Western Athletic Conference Special Teams Player of the Week Monday following his performance against New Mexico over the weekend. It is the first time in his career Diaz has been named the WAC’s Player of the Week.
Diaz also earned national honors from College Football Performance Awards for his peformance as he was named an honorable mention placekicker of the week.
Diaz is the fifth Aggie this year to earn WAC Player of the Week honors for the seventh time joining sophomore quarterback Chuckie Keeton (9/10, 10/1), senior punter Tyler Bennett (9/10), senior running back Kerwynn Williams (9/24) and redshirt freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell (10/8, 10/15).
The 5-foot-7, 197-pound Diaz, from Redondo Beach, Calif. (Redondo Beach HS), was 5-of-5 on extra points and 2-of-3 on field goals against New Mexico State as he made field goals from 53 and 48 yards. His 44-yard attempt in the fourth quarter was blocked. The 53-yard field goal, which was his first-ever field goal attempt at Utah State, was the eighth-longest in school history and USU's longest since 2008.
Utah State (6-2, 2-0 WAC) continues WAC play this week at UTSA (5-2, 1-1 WAC) on Saturday at 12 p.m. (MT). The game will be available to watch live on ESPN3.com.
Utah State has won seven-straight WAC games dating back to last season, including each of its last four on the road, and is off to its best start to a season since the 1978. USU has now won 11 of its last 14 games.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 121
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 33
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 20