USU football: Nick Diaz named WAC Special Teams Player of the Week
Utah State redshirt sophomore placekicker Nick Diaz was named the Western Athletic Conference Special Teams Player of the Week Monday following his performance against New Mexico over the weekend. It is the first time in his career Diaz has been named the WAC’s Player of the Week.
Diaz also earned national honors from College Football Performance Awards for his peformance as he was named an honorable mention placekicker of the week.
Diaz is the fifth Aggie this year to earn WAC Player of the Week honors for the seventh time joining sophomore quarterback Chuckie Keeton (9/10, 10/1), senior punter Tyler Bennett (9/10), senior running back Kerwynn Williams (9/24) and redshirt freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell (10/8, 10/15).
The 5-foot-7, 197-pound Diaz, from Redondo Beach, Calif. (Redondo Beach HS), was 5-of-5 on extra points and 2-of-3 on field goals against New Mexico State as he made field goals from 53 and 48 yards. His 44-yard attempt in the fourth quarter was blocked. The 53-yard field goal, which was his first-ever field goal attempt at Utah State, was the eighth-longest in school history and USU's longest since 2008.
Utah State (6-2, 2-0 WAC) continues WAC play this week at UTSA (5-2, 1-1 WAC) on Saturday at 12 p.m. (MT). The game will be available to watch live on ESPN3.com.
Utah State has won seven-straight WAC games dating back to last season, including each of its last four on the road, and is off to its best start to a season since the 1978. USU has now won 11 of its last 14 games.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52