USU football: Nick Diaz named WAC Special Teams Player of the Week
Utah State redshirt sophomore placekicker Nick Diaz was named the Western Athletic Conference Special Teams Player of the Week Monday following his performance against New Mexico over the weekend. It is the first time in his career Diaz has been named the WAC’s Player of the Week.
Diaz also earned national honors from College Football Performance Awards for his peformance as he was named an honorable mention placekicker of the week.
Diaz is the fifth Aggie this year to earn WAC Player of the Week honors for the seventh time joining sophomore quarterback Chuckie Keeton (9/10, 10/1), senior punter Tyler Bennett (9/10), senior running back Kerwynn Williams (9/24) and redshirt freshman linebacker Kyler Fackrell (10/8, 10/15).
The 5-foot-7, 197-pound Diaz, from Redondo Beach, Calif. (Redondo Beach HS), was 5-of-5 on extra points and 2-of-3 on field goals against New Mexico State as he made field goals from 53 and 48 yards. His 44-yard attempt in the fourth quarter was blocked. The 53-yard field goal, which was his first-ever field goal attempt at Utah State, was the eighth-longest in school history and USU's longest since 2008.
Utah State (6-2, 2-0 WAC) continues WAC play this week at UTSA (5-2, 1-1 WAC) on Saturday at 12 p.m. (MT). The game will be available to watch live on ESPN3.com.
Utah State has won seven-straight WAC games dating back to last season, including each of its last four on the road, and is off to its best start to a season since the 1978. USU has now won 11 of its last 14 games.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 65
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 40
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20