USU volleyball: Shay Sorensen collects WAC Player of the Week accolades
Utah State volleyball player Shay Sorensen has been named the Western Athletic Conference Volleyball Player of the Week for the week of Oct. 15-21. This is her second WAC Player of the Week honor of the season and her career.
The North Ogden, Utah, native averaged 4.18 kills, 3.36 digs and 1.09 blocks per set. Sorensen posted double-doubles in two of the three matches in helping the Aggies to a 2-1 record, including winning two on the road. She started the week with 15 kills and 11 digs, along with four blocks in a five-set loss to UTSA last Monday. In Thursday’s five-set win at Idaho, Sorensen logged her team-leading 10th double-double of the season with 18 kills and tied a career high with 17 digs to go along with five blocks. She then added 13 kills without posting any hitting errors for a .382 attack percentage to go with nine digs and three blocks in a sweep at Seattle U.
Sorensen now has 801 career kills, becoming the 11th player in school history to reach the 800-kill plateau. She is currently sixth in the WAC in overall kills per set (3.13) and WAC only kps (3.41), as well as fifth for overall points per set (3.87) and fourth for conference only matches for pps (4.14). Sorensen has logged a double-double in nine of USU’s last 15 matches.
Sorensen and the Aggies host a pair of WAC matches this weekend at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum, first facing UT Arlington on Thursday, Oct. 25, and then Louisiana Tech on Saturday, Oct. 27. Both matches start at 7 p.m.
Utah State will be continuing its "Dig for a Cure" campaign as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and to help raise money for Logan Regional Hospital Foundation's Breast Cancer Services. Pledges are now being gathered for every dig the Aggies make during their home matches in October as part of USU's "Dig for a Cure" campaign. Pledges can be made in any amount and flat donations are also accepted. Pledge and donation forms will be available at the matches at the marketing/promotions table on the west concourse of the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
The Utah State Campus Store is donating 20 percent of all pink merchandise sales during the month of October to Aggie volleyball's "Dig for a Cure" campaign.
Utah State volleyball tickets are available by contacting the USU Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 36
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21