R. Scott Lloyd, Deseret News
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square will return to the roots of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints next summer for a six-city tour that will include stops in Ohio and Illinois.
New choir president Ron Jarrett announced Monday that the 360-voice choir and 65-piece orchestra will tour the upper Midwest of the United States on June 12-20, with stops in:
Columbus, Ohio, at the Nationwide Arena;
Indianapolis, Ind., at the Bankers Life Fieldhouse;
Chicago, Ill., as part of the Ravinia Festival;
Milwaukee, Wis., at the Milwaukee Theater;
Madison, Wis., at the Overture Center for the Arts;
and Minneapolis, Minn., at the Target Center.
The LDS Church, which was founded in 1830 in upstate New York, established early headquarters in Ohio and then Illinois prior to relocating to its current world headquarters in Salt Lake City following the Mormon pioneer trek in the mid-1800s.
Jarrett, a former choir member who was an assistant to former choir president Mac Christensen the last time it toured the upper Midwest in 2009, said that while music-lovers the world over enjoy listening to the choir on its weekly “Music and the Spoken Word” broadcasts and on CDs, “There is nothing quite like hearing the choir live in concert.
“We love going on the road to connect with our audience,” he said, adding that concertgoers will “experience the pure joy music can bring to the hearts and minds of its listeners.”
With the exception of the concert in Chicago as part of the Ravinia Festival, tickets for the concerts are now available. For more information on tickets for specific concerts, please go to the choir website, mormontabernaclechoir.org/.
Lawn tickets for the Ravinia Festival go on sale via Internet only Nov. 12.
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- Why many churches can't endorse political...
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go' players
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at Republican...
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this...
- 5 diverse appeals to God that were just made...
- What's new: 'By the Voice of My Servants'...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 31
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 25
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- LDS.org post opens arms to 'Pokemon Go'... 9