Utah Jazz basketball: Jamaal Tinsley showing progress, recovering from tooth extraction
Gus Ruelas, AP
Jamaal Tinsley, who's been suffering from a painful wisdom tooth all preseason, made significant progress from Saturday to Sunday.
Not to the point the backup point guard could fully participate in practice. Still feeling aftereffects of mouth surgery, Tinsley wasn't allowed to do contact drills or scrimmage.
But he could talk.
That's something a puffy-cheeked Tinsley struggled to do for a couple of days after having that wisdom tooth extracted on Thursday.
"Just a lot of swelling and pain," he said. "Right now, I can do more talking. I feel better."
Tinsley tried to deal with the agony for three weeks, but the Jazz had a day off Thursday and a few days at home after that so the timing was right to visit the dentist. Not only did he suffer from inflammation and pain, but he also had to avoid letting air dry out his tooth socket.
"It's something that's a nagging injury that hurts real bad," he said.
Tinsley traveled with the Jazz to Portland and will be a game-time decision for tonight's game (8 p.m., ROOT). Utah will be without Raja Bell (not active) and Earl Watson, who stayed home for rehab and evaluation on his surgically repaired right knee.
By the way, don't count on Tinsley having wisdom teeth extracted anytime soon.
"I've got three left," he said, "but this is going to be the last one."
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34