Fall storm to deliver valley and mountain snow, high winds are also predicted
SALT LAKE CITY — This past weekend's balmy weather is surrendering to cold, rain, wind and snow brought on by a Pacific storm front due to pounce on much of the state.
Rain could come as early as Sunday evening across Northern Utah, according to an alert issued by the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City, with snow falling in the mountains at the 9,000 foot elevation.
Farther south, in west central and southwest Utah, a high wind warning in effect until 10 p.m. Monday advises travel for high-profile vehicles and others is potentially dangerous. Gusts could reach up to 60 mph along I-15 in Millard and Beaver counties, particularly, and U.S. 6 and U.S. 50 in the Delta region, as well as state Route 21 and state Route 56. Blowing dust may reduce visibility and any wind-sensitive operations could be impacted.
Snow levels will continue to drop throughout the next few days in the northern region of the state and with valley accumulations sporadic, but likely, homeowners should also be aware that trees that have not yet dropped their leaves may litter landscapes and property with downed limbs.
The National Weather Service warned that the accumulation of leaves and water may create problems for drainage systems in urban areas, leading to the ponding of water on roadways.
By Wednesday, it will be downright chilly, with highs in the northern valleys expected to be in the 40s. It will stay that way into Friday, before it starts to warm again.
Weather watchers are warning of a "hard freeze" that will begin across much of the region Wednesday and enduring until the pattern snaps. Lows will dip to the freezing mark, or a few notches below.
The good news for skiers and water managers is that the storm is expected to deliver the season's first good helping of snow to the mountains, where there could be "significant" accumulations, according to the weather service.
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back...
- Weighing in: The top 20 metro areas with the...
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a caucus a...
- Defending the Faith: Exploring complexities...
- See where Utah schools, schools with LDS ties...
- Murder trial ordered for teen in brutal...
- John Wall harbored hatred for ex-wife after...
- Sherry Young: Lose the game but not your...
- LDS Church, LGBT advocates back... 76
- Mitt Romney calls Utah GOP move to a... 44
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 42
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 28
- House leaders counter Healthy Utah,... 28
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert's Healthy Utah plan... 23
- House will hear Healthy Utah alongside... 22