SALT LAKE CITY – A Salt Lake City woman was booked into jail Sunday after reportedly running a red light and crashing into a police car on Main Street.
Salt Lake City Police Lt. Scott White said the woman was traveling west on 900 South when she ran a red light at Main Street and hit the officer's vehicle as he was driving north. Witnesses told officers the woman had also run a red light on State Street, White said.
Brandy Moore, 32, was arrested for investigation of reckless child abuse, a hit and run accident, resisting arrest, fleeing from officers, assault on a police officer, running a red light and driving without insurance, a second offense in three years, according to Salt Lake County Jail booking information.
Moore's 4-year-old daughter, who was in a car seat in the back of the vehicle, was unharmed, White said. After the collision, Moore took her daughter from the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot, he said.
White said Moore struggled and attempted to kick and hit the officer as she was being taken into custody, all with her child nearby.
"Once we got to her, she attempted to fight the officers and her child is wrapped around her arm like a little spider," White said. "That's really hard for the officers because they don't want to hurt the kid."
Moore's parents had contacted police when the distraught woman took her daughter and left their house, about four blocks from the site of the collision, White said.
When Moore's father arrived on scene, he explained to officers that she had been experiencing a "bad run of luck" and the family has been attempting to get help for her, White said. Moore's daughter was sent home with her grandparents following the incident.
Moore was not injured in the crash. The officer is reported to have a hurt elbow, White said. Both the police vehicle and Moore's car were totaled.
- Community comes together to surprise...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- House won't consider Senate's partial...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 29
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 12