Don Ryan, AP
CORVALLIS, Ore. — If you take turnovers out of the equation Saturday, Utah's 21-7 loss to Oregon State may have ended with a different score attached to it.
Utah came very close to tying the game at 14 midway through the third quarter, but instead made the biggest mistake of the night.
On a trick play, DeVonte Christopher took his eyes off the ball for a second and missed the flick pass from Travis Wilson. With a third-and-goal, the Utes gave away their chance to win their first conference game of the season.
Utah had three game-altering turnovers, including this one, and arguably beat themselves.
The other two mistakes came in the first half by Utah quarterback Travis Wilson, and both resulted in OSU touchdowns.
First, his pass was tipped, resulting in an interception and gave the ball to OSU on Utah's 16-yard line. Then on his next time out, he fumbled after being sacked on the first play of the drive and Oregon scored quickly.
Later in the second quarter, Utah gained some confidence back by finally putting together a long drive that resulted in a Jake Murphy touchdown catch.
OSU put together a drive in the fourth quarter to seal the Beavers' sixth victory of the season.
Utah finishes the game with 307 total yards to the Beavers' 226 yards.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 20
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8