Utah Utes football: Utes' make cringing mistakes, fall to OSU 21-7
Don Ryan, AP
CORVALLIS, Ore. — If you take turnovers out of the equation Saturday, Utah's 21-7 loss to Oregon State may have ended with a different score attached to it.
Utah came very close to tying the game at 14 midway through the third quarter, but instead made the biggest mistake of the night.
On a trick play, DeVonte Christopher took his eyes off the ball for a second and missed the flick pass from Travis Wilson. With a third-and-goal, the Utes gave away their chance to win their first conference game of the season.
Utah had three game-altering turnovers, including this one, and arguably beat themselves.
The other two mistakes came in the first half by Utah quarterback Travis Wilson, and both resulted in OSU touchdowns.
First, his pass was tipped, resulting in an interception and gave the ball to OSU on Utah's 16-yard line. Then on his next time out, he fumbled after being sacked on the first play of the drive and Oregon scored quickly.
Later in the second quarter, Utah gained some confidence back by finally putting together a long drive that resulted in a Jake Murphy touchdown catch.
OSU put together a drive in the fourth quarter to seal the Beavers' sixth victory of the season.
Utah finishes the game with 307 total yards to the Beavers' 226 yards.
Whitney O'Bannon is currently a new media sports intern for the Deseret News.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26