Utah Jazz basketball: Jazz get a real sneak peek of first unit in 99-91 victory over Clippers
Burks, who had nice offensive moments outside and above the rim, put up perhaps his best showing of the exhibition season with 10 points and eight rebounds. He was on the court with the reserves to finish off the win.
"We just coming out there hungry," Burks said. "The starters set the tempo and we try to stay with that tempo, play hard, play smart and help them win."
Burks took a lofted-up lob pass from DeMarre Carroll and smashed the ball through the hoop and then whirled around a bit before landing for the night's biggest dunk. Hayward also had a sweet alley-oop slam off of a pass from Mo Williams.
"It's just helping my campaign for the dunk contest that's all it is," Burks said, smiling. "Randy (Foye) threw ahead to D.C. I didn't know if D.C. was going to throw it or not. I saw his eyes (and) I said it could get ugly if he throw it and the threw it and I made a play."
Speaking of ugly, that describes the ending of the game. With just a few seconds left, Jackson, an NBA veteran, was ejected for "hostile acts" after he hit Blakely with an elbow after the Clipper player tried to swipe the ball from him.
"He just kept reaching for the ball and he was scratching at me. I'm telling him, like, 'Yo, the game's over.' (Ronny) Turiaf was telling him the game's over," Jackson said. "He just kept hitting at it and when he finally hit and tried to go get it he ran into my arm. It wasn't intentional. I didn't try to grab him, choke him or nothing like that. He was just trying to run under my arm and he got caught."
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- 4A boys basketball tournament quarterfinal...
- High school boys basketball: Viewmont's...
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest for...
- Morning links: Utah coaching job ranked; NFL...
- 3A boys state tournament quarterfinal live...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 86
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 52
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 42
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 28