Utah Jazz basketball: Jazz get a real sneak peek of first unit in 99-91 victory over Clippers
Burks, who had nice offensive moments outside and above the rim, put up perhaps his best showing of the exhibition season with 10 points and eight rebounds. He was on the court with the reserves to finish off the win.
"We just coming out there hungry," Burks said. "The starters set the tempo and we try to stay with that tempo, play hard, play smart and help them win."
Burks took a lofted-up lob pass from DeMarre Carroll and smashed the ball through the hoop and then whirled around a bit before landing for the night's biggest dunk. Hayward also had a sweet alley-oop slam off of a pass from Mo Williams.
"It's just helping my campaign for the dunk contest that's all it is," Burks said, smiling. "Randy (Foye) threw ahead to D.C. I didn't know if D.C. was going to throw it or not. I saw his eyes (and) I said it could get ugly if he throw it and the threw it and I made a play."
Speaking of ugly, that describes the ending of the game. With just a few seconds left, Jackson, an NBA veteran, was ejected for "hostile acts" after he hit Blakely with an elbow after the Clipper player tried to swipe the ball from him.
"He just kept reaching for the ball and he was scratching at me. I'm telling him, like, 'Yo, the game's over.' (Ronny) Turiaf was telling him the game's over," Jackson said. "He just kept hitting at it and when he finally hit and tried to go get it he ran into my arm. It wasn't intentional. I didn't try to grab him, choke him or nothing like that. He was just trying to run under my arm and he got caught."
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 36
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25