BYU football: Notre Dame star linebacker Manti Te'o shines against BYU
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o was determined not to get too emotional when he lined up against BYU Saturday.
Te'o, who is a member of the LDS Church, was recruited by the Cougars but chose to play for the Fighting Irish. He is very familiar with many of BYU's players and coaches.
"I was rather calm. I’m very happy and proud of myself — kind of hard," said Te'o, who recorded 10 tackles and an interception in No. 5 Notre Dame's 17-14 victory.
The Cougars threw a scare into the Irish, who rallied from a 14-7 halftime deficit.
"That's a team that won 10 games last year," said Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly. "That's a bracket-buster team in basketball parlance. That's a darn good football team. Our kids hung in there and won the football game."
"They are a really good football team and we understood that coming in and it was going to be a fight," Te'o said. "Hats off to them for a great college football game."
Kelly is glad to have his senior linebacker anchoring his defense.
"The guy is all over the field, pass coverage, breaking on the ball, setting our defense off. It's not going to change," Kelly said. "It's only going to continue to be the same kind of performance week-in and week-out, because he's so well-prepared. Just glad he's on our team."
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- BYU jumps into national spotlight after big...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars held...
- Holmoe assesses the state of the program as...
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU matchup...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- Photos: BYU welcomed by fans at Provo Airport
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 106
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 64
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 31
- Mike Sorensen: How about a Utah-BYU... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 27
- Holmoe assesses the state of the... 25