BYU football: Notre Dame star linebacker Manti Te'o shines against BYU
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o was determined not to get too emotional when he lined up against BYU Saturday.
Te'o, who is a member of the LDS Church, was recruited by the Cougars but chose to play for the Fighting Irish. He is very familiar with many of BYU's players and coaches.
"I was rather calm. I’m very happy and proud of myself — kind of hard," said Te'o, who recorded 10 tackles and an interception in No. 5 Notre Dame's 17-14 victory.
The Cougars threw a scare into the Irish, who rallied from a 14-7 halftime deficit.
"That's a team that won 10 games last year," said Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly. "That's a bracket-buster team in basketball parlance. That's a darn good football team. Our kids hung in there and won the football game."
"They are a really good football team and we understood that coming in and it was going to be a fight," Te'o said. "Hats off to them for a great college football game."
Kelly is glad to have his senior linebacker anchoring his defense.
"The guy is all over the field, pass coverage, breaking on the ball, setting our defense off. It's not going to change," Kelly said. "It's only going to continue to be the same kind of performance week-in and week-out, because he's so well-prepared. Just glad he's on our team."
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 13