Book review: 'My First Book of Temples' helps teach children about temples
“MY FIRST BOOK OF TEMPLES,” by Deanna Draper Buck, illustrated by Casey Nelson, Deseret Book, $15.99 (nf)
Deanna Draper Buck and Casey Nelson’s new boardbook, “My First Book of Temples” can be a good tool to help teach young children about temples.
Each spread logically follows topics of what temples are, sacred places, ancient and modern temples, when and how a person can go in a temple along with basic descriptions of baptisms for the dead, the endowment along with marriages and sealings.
The text is more than what would be in a typical board book, but is needed to help explain the different aspects of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in an easy-to-understand way.
It’s also simple enough that the reader can bring in their own temple experiences, like bringing up when their family went to an open house or when a relative had a temple sealing.
Casey Nelson’s drawings of temples and scenes throughout show the diversity of the temples and the LDS Church.
This boardbook is another in Buck’s My First Books series, that include similar books with stories from the scriptures, including the Book of Mormon and the New and Old Testaments and presidents of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 76
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 49
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 32
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 23
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16