Book review: 'My First Book of Temples' helps teach children about temples
“MY FIRST BOOK OF TEMPLES,” by Deanna Draper Buck, illustrated by Casey Nelson, Deseret Book, $15.99 (nf)
Deanna Draper Buck and Casey Nelson’s new boardbook, “My First Book of Temples” can be a good tool to help teach young children about temples.
Each spread logically follows topics of what temples are, sacred places, ancient and modern temples, when and how a person can go in a temple along with basic descriptions of baptisms for the dead, the endowment along with marriages and sealings.
The text is more than what would be in a typical board book, but is needed to help explain the different aspects of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in an easy-to-understand way.
It’s also simple enough that the reader can bring in their own temple experiences, like bringing up when their family went to an open house or when a relative had a temple sealing.
Casey Nelson’s drawings of temples and scenes throughout show the diversity of the temples and the LDS Church.
This boardbook is another in Buck’s My First Books series, that include similar books with stories from the scriptures, including the Book of Mormon and the New and Old Testaments and presidents of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Changing fields: Returned missionary college...
- Sheri Dew and Noelle Pikus-Pace arm wrestle...
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- Anything for Auni: A community rallies to...
- Defending the Faith: Some things are more...
- Family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 126
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 116
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 56
- Defending the Faith: Some things are... 40
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million... 29
- California orders churches, others to... 27
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- LDS Church releases video about suicide... 11