BYU football: Cougars leading No. 5 Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime in South Bend
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — BYU quarterback Riley Nelson recovered from an early interception to throw two touchdown passes and the Cougar defense has held the Irish offense in check as BYU leads Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime.
The Cougars have done well moving the ball against the vaunted Irish defense after Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o intercepted Nelson on BYU's first offensive drive of the game.
After Irish quarterback Tommy Rees found tight end Tyler Eifert for Notre Dame's first score, running back Jamaal Williams led the Cougars into the red zone, where Nelson eventually found Cody Hoffman wide open in the end zone for BYU's first score.
Kyle Van Noy later picked off a tipped pass from Rees to set the Cougars up with excellent field position, and a Notre Dame penalty helped BYU move inside the Irish 10. Tight end Kaneakua Friel hung on to a Nelson pass to give BYU the lead. Replays confirmed the catch.
Notre Dame kicker Kyle Brindza has missed two field goal attempts.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: TheShums
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19