BYU football: Cougars leading No. 5 Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime in South Bend
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — BYU quarterback Riley Nelson recovered from an early interception to throw two touchdown passes and the Cougar defense has held the Irish offense in check as BYU leads Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime.
The Cougars have done well moving the ball against the vaunted Irish defense after Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o intercepted Nelson on BYU's first offensive drive of the game.
After Irish quarterback Tommy Rees found tight end Tyler Eifert for Notre Dame's first score, running back Jamaal Williams led the Cougars into the red zone, where Nelson eventually found Cody Hoffman wide open in the end zone for BYU's first score.
Kyle Van Noy later picked off a tipped pass from Rees to set the Cougars up with excellent field position, and a Notre Dame penalty helped BYU move inside the Irish 10. Tight end Kaneakua Friel hung on to a Nelson pass to give BYU the lead. Replays confirmed the catch.
Notre Dame kicker Kyle Brindza has missed two field goal attempts.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: TheShums
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 126
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 34