BYU football: Cougars leading No. 5 Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime in South Bend
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — BYU quarterback Riley Nelson recovered from an early interception to throw two touchdown passes and the Cougar defense has held the Irish offense in check as BYU leads Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime.
The Cougars have done well moving the ball against the vaunted Irish defense after Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o intercepted Nelson on BYU's first offensive drive of the game.
After Irish quarterback Tommy Rees found tight end Tyler Eifert for Notre Dame's first score, running back Jamaal Williams led the Cougars into the red zone, where Nelson eventually found Cody Hoffman wide open in the end zone for BYU's first score.
Kyle Van Noy later picked off a tipped pass from Rees to set the Cougars up with excellent field position, and a Notre Dame penalty helped BYU move inside the Irish 10. Tight end Kaneakua Friel hung on to a Nelson pass to give BYU the lead. Replays confirmed the catch.
Notre Dame kicker Kyle Brindza has missed two field goal attempts.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: TheShums
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45