BYU football: Cougars leading No. 5 Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime in South Bend
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — BYU quarterback Riley Nelson recovered from an early interception to throw two touchdown passes and the Cougar defense has held the Irish offense in check as BYU leads Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime.
The Cougars have done well moving the ball against the vaunted Irish defense after Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o intercepted Nelson on BYU's first offensive drive of the game.
After Irish quarterback Tommy Rees found tight end Tyler Eifert for Notre Dame's first score, running back Jamaal Williams led the Cougars into the red zone, where Nelson eventually found Cody Hoffman wide open in the end zone for BYU's first score.
Kyle Van Noy later picked off a tipped pass from Rees to set the Cougars up with excellent field position, and a Notre Dame penalty helped BYU move inside the Irish 10. Tight end Kaneakua Friel hung on to a Nelson pass to give BYU the lead. Replays confirmed the catch.
Notre Dame kicker Kyle Brindza has missed two field goal attempts.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: TheShums
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 110
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 81
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33