BYU football: Cougars leading No. 5 Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime in South Bend
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SOUTH BEND, Ind. — BYU quarterback Riley Nelson recovered from an early interception to throw two touchdown passes and the Cougar defense has held the Irish offense in check as BYU leads Notre Dame, 14-7, at halftime.
The Cougars have done well moving the ball against the vaunted Irish defense after Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o intercepted Nelson on BYU's first offensive drive of the game.
After Irish quarterback Tommy Rees found tight end Tyler Eifert for Notre Dame's first score, running back Jamaal Williams led the Cougars into the red zone, where Nelson eventually found Cody Hoffman wide open in the end zone for BYU's first score.
Kyle Van Noy later picked off a tipped pass from Rees to set the Cougars up with excellent field position, and a Notre Dame penalty helped BYU move inside the Irish 10. Tight end Kaneakua Friel hung on to a Nelson pass to give BYU the lead. Replays confirmed the catch.
Notre Dame kicker Kyle Brindza has missed two field goal attempts.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: TheShums
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17