LOGAN — It was all about the big play in the first half for Utah State versus New Mexico State in the battle of the Aggies, and Utah State leads 28-0 at the break Saturday at Romney Stadium.
It didn’t take long for Utah State to jump out in front on the visitors as USU quarterback Chuckie Keeton found Kerwynn Williams for a 76-yard screen pass on the first offensive play from scrimmage to put the Aggies on up 7-0 just 22 seconds into the game. The play was a career-long pass for Keeton and also career-long catch for Williams.
The big plays didn’t stop there for the blue-clad Aggies. Keeton hooked up with his favorite deep target Chuck Jacobs for a 49-yard bomb on Utah State’s next drive.
To start the second quarter, the special teams got involved, blocking a New Mexico State field goal on the first play of the quarter. The block turned the ball over to Utah State at the 24-yard line and set the Aggies up for another 76-yard touchdown on the first play of the drive. This time Keeton did it with his legs, taking a read option the distance.
Keeton finished the half with nearly 300 yards of total offense himself, running for 78 yards and throwing for another 188.
Williams finished off the scoring for USU with a 3-yard touchdown run right before the half. The senior running back finished the half with 56 yards rushing on eight carries and two catches for another 87 yards.
The USU defense also got involved in the big plays to keep the first half shutout alive. Cornerback Will Davis intercepted an Andrew Manley pass on 3rd-and-goal to keep New Mexico State off the scoreboard.
The pick was the first of Davis’ career and just the fourth interception of the year for Utah State.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be reached at email@example.com or followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- No. 18 BYU expecting 'difficult, volatile'...
- Bulked-up Gordon Hayward looks to play with...
- USU football: Chuckie Keeton likely out...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 61
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39