NAPERVILLE, Ill. - For the second week in a row, Utah Valley University's Darian Sharp was named the Great West Conference Runner of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a team win in its division at NCAA Pre-Nationals at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park in Lousiville, Ky.
The award was announced Friday by the conference office.
The freshman from St. George, Utah, ran a 6K time of 21:29:01, in a race in which UVU defeated teams such as West Virginia, South Carolina, Utah State, Cincinnati and Louisville.
On the men's side, Martin Casse claimed his second weekly honor of the season after placing third at the Concordia Invitational in Cedar Park, Texas. The sophomore from Toulouse, France, ran a time of 15:39.66 over a 5K course, finishing within three seconds of the top two finishers from No. 22 Texas. In addition to the Broncs and the Longhorns, Texas State also competed in the meet.
Others nominated for the weekly honors included Houston Baptist's Anthony Aguinaga and Jessica Whitt, Texas-Pan American's Judith Chumba, and Utah Valley's Cliff Nielson.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16