NAPERVILLE, Ill. - For the second week in a row, Utah Valley University's Darian Sharp was named the Great West Conference Runner of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a team win in its division at NCAA Pre-Nationals at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park in Lousiville, Ky.
The award was announced Friday by the conference office.
The freshman from St. George, Utah, ran a 6K time of 21:29:01, in a race in which UVU defeated teams such as West Virginia, South Carolina, Utah State, Cincinnati and Louisville.
On the men's side, Martin Casse claimed his second weekly honor of the season after placing third at the Concordia Invitational in Cedar Park, Texas. The sophomore from Toulouse, France, ran a time of 15:39.66 over a 5K course, finishing within three seconds of the top two finishers from No. 22 Texas. In addition to the Broncs and the Longhorns, Texas State also competed in the meet.
Others nominated for the weekly honors included Houston Baptist's Anthony Aguinaga and Jessica Whitt, Texas-Pan American's Judith Chumba, and Utah Valley's Cliff Nielson.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48