NAPERVILLE, Ill. - For the second week in a row, Utah Valley University's Darian Sharp was named the Great West Conference Runner of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a team win in its division at NCAA Pre-Nationals at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park in Lousiville, Ky.
The award was announced Friday by the conference office.
The freshman from St. George, Utah, ran a 6K time of 21:29:01, in a race in which UVU defeated teams such as West Virginia, South Carolina, Utah State, Cincinnati and Louisville.
On the men's side, Martin Casse claimed his second weekly honor of the season after placing third at the Concordia Invitational in Cedar Park, Texas. The sophomore from Toulouse, France, ran a time of 15:39.66 over a 5K course, finishing within three seconds of the top two finishers from No. 22 Texas. In addition to the Broncs and the Longhorns, Texas State also competed in the meet.
Others nominated for the weekly honors included Houston Baptist's Anthony Aguinaga and Jessica Whitt, Texas-Pan American's Judith Chumba, and Utah Valley's Cliff Nielson.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 105
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 19