NAPERVILLE, Ill. - For the second week in a row, Utah Valley University's Darian Sharp was named the Great West Conference Runner of the Week after leading the Wolverines to a team win in its division at NCAA Pre-Nationals at E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park in Lousiville, Ky.
The award was announced Friday by the conference office.
The freshman from St. George, Utah, ran a 6K time of 21:29:01, in a race in which UVU defeated teams such as West Virginia, South Carolina, Utah State, Cincinnati and Louisville.
On the men's side, Martin Casse claimed his second weekly honor of the season after placing third at the Concordia Invitational in Cedar Park, Texas. The sophomore from Toulouse, France, ran a time of 15:39.66 over a 5K course, finishing within three seconds of the top two finishers from No. 22 Texas. In addition to the Broncs and the Longhorns, Texas State also competed in the meet.
Others nominated for the weekly honors included Houston Baptist's Anthony Aguinaga and Jessica Whitt, Texas-Pan American's Judith Chumba, and Utah Valley's Cliff Nielson.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26