Man, 18, shot in chest during fight in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was shot during an altercation at a West Valley City apartment complex Friday night.
A group of people were gathered at an apartment complex parking lot near 4020 West and 4100 South when an altercation broke out around 10 p.m., West Valley Police Lt. Dalan Taylor said. During the course of the fight, the 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest.
"He managed to make it over to the Arctic Circle (at 4073 W. 4100 South) and they were able to call in and render some aid," Taylor said.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries. Taylor said the man was conscious and able to talk with law enforcement officers.
Police set up a large containment area and detained a number of witnesses in the hope of locating a suspect and a better idea of what prompted the shooting.
"We're still trying to piece together what happened, who was involved, what took place and why," Taylor said. "We're still in the process of asking those questions."
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror dropping...
- Mia Love pushing higher education act
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah's air pollution problem: What does... 17