Man, 18, shot in chest during fight in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was shot during an altercation at a West Valley City apartment complex Friday night.
A group of people were gathered at an apartment complex parking lot near 4020 West and 4100 South when an altercation broke out around 10 p.m., West Valley Police Lt. Dalan Taylor said. During the course of the fight, the 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest.
"He managed to make it over to the Arctic Circle (at 4073 W. 4100 South) and they were able to call in and render some aid," Taylor said.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries. Taylor said the man was conscious and able to talk with law enforcement officers.
Police set up a large containment area and detained a number of witnesses in the hope of locating a suspect and a better idea of what prompted the shooting.
"We're still trying to piece together what happened, who was involved, what took place and why," Taylor said. "We're still in the process of asking those questions."
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18