Man, 18, shot in chest during fight in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was shot during an altercation at a West Valley City apartment complex Friday night.
A group of people were gathered at an apartment complex parking lot near 4020 West and 4100 South when an altercation broke out around 10 p.m., West Valley Police Lt. Dalan Taylor said. During the course of the fight, the 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest.
"He managed to make it over to the Arctic Circle (at 4073 W. 4100 South) and they were able to call in and render some aid," Taylor said.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries. Taylor said the man was conscious and able to talk with law enforcement officers.
Police set up a large containment area and detained a number of witnesses in the hope of locating a suspect and a better idea of what prompted the shooting.
"We're still trying to piece together what happened, who was involved, what took place and why," Taylor said. "We're still in the process of asking those questions."
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14