WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was shot during an altercation at a West Valley City apartment complex Friday night.
A group of people were gathered at an apartment complex parking lot near 4020 West and 4100 South when an altercation broke out around 10 p.m., West Valley Police Lt. Dalan Taylor said. During the course of the fight, the 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest.
"He managed to make it over to the Arctic Circle (at 4073 W. 4100 South) and they were able to call in and render some aid," Taylor said.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries. Taylor said the man was conscious and able to talk with law enforcement officers.
Police set up a large containment area and detained a number of witnesses in the hope of locating a suspect and a better idea of what prompted the shooting.
"We're still trying to piece together what happened, who was involved, what took place and why," Taylor said. "We're still in the process of asking those questions."
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 105
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 80
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 63
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24