Man, 18, shot in chest during fight in West Valley City
WEST VALLEY CITY — An 18-year-old man was shot during an altercation at a West Valley City apartment complex Friday night.
A group of people were gathered at an apartment complex parking lot near 4020 West and 4100 South when an altercation broke out around 10 p.m., West Valley Police Lt. Dalan Taylor said. During the course of the fight, the 18-year-old victim was shot in the chest.
"He managed to make it over to the Arctic Circle (at 4073 W. 4100 South) and they were able to call in and render some aid," Taylor said.
The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious injuries. Taylor said the man was conscious and able to talk with law enforcement officers.
Police set up a large containment area and detained a number of witnesses in the hope of locating a suspect and a better idea of what prompted the shooting.
"We're still trying to piece together what happened, who was involved, what took place and why," Taylor said. "We're still in the process of asking those questions."
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17
- Utah’s water future: Develop or... 14
- The ghosts under our feet: 88... 10