Utah A.G. race: Reluctant candidate Dee Smith vs. candidate-in-waiting John Swallow
"Absolutely not," Swallow counters.
Suing over Obamacare, he said, preserved the Commerce Clause in the U.S. Constitution.
Not standing up to the federal government on federal lands gives away the ability to fund public education, he said. Money earned on those lands would go to improve the school system.
"If we don't have access to our energy, we will never get it done," Swallow said.
Smith and Swallow disagree about whether the attorney general's office is partisan. Smith says it isn’t; Swallow says it is.
"I intend to be an attorney general who takes the politics out of the office," Smith said.
As the state's top law enforcer, he said the attorney general needs to focus on Internet crimes against children, affinity fraud and funding drug courts.
While Swallow said it is a partisan office, the job is enforcing the laws of the state. Policy matters, he said, are best left to the Legislature.
Still, his campaign has centered on fighting what he sees as federal intrusions into people's lives. As chief deputy attorney general, he said he doubled the legal team working on the public lands lawsuit.
Swallow said he would use the resources and tools available to push back against Washington.
Occupation: Chief deputy attorney general
Education: Bachelor's degree in psychology, law degree, both from BYU
Political experience: State representative, six years; two failed congressional campaigns
Family: Wife, Suzanne; five children
Occupation: Weber County attorney
Education: Bachelor's degree in history, Weber State University; law degree, University of Utah
Political experience: First-time candidate
Family: Wife, Cherrie; four children
Residence: South Ogden
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 77
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 48
- Police release names of officers... 36
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 17