What's New: 'Fires of Faith' shares the history of the King James Bible translation
"FIRES OF FAITH: The Inspiring Story Behind the King James Bible," by Brock Brower with Lee Groberg and Steven Porter, Covenant Communications, $29.99, 115 pages (nf)
The history of the King James Version of the Bible is full of hardships and struggles. It is now the No. 1 bestselling book of all time, with tremendous influence on not only religion, but language, culture, art and literature.
"Fires of Faith" is a hardback book that relates how the King James Bible was able to be translated into English during a time when Europe did not practice religious freedom. The brave men and women, some losing their lives for the sake of the book's translation, who fought the battle include William Tyndale, John Wycliffe, Martin Luther, Henry VIII, Queen Mary I and King James. Each of played a significant role in the publication of the King James Bible.
A companion DVD with BYUtv's television series "Fires of Faith: Coming Forth of the King James Bible" has also been released. The television series celebrated the 400-year anniversary of the Bible's translation. This series and the book are tied together. More information on the three-part documentary can be found here.
Author of "Fires of Faith," Brock Brower, has won the O. Henry prize for short stories, the Guggenheim Fellowship and an award from the National Endowment for the Arts. He has also written extensively for the New York Times and Civilization, Esquire, Harper's, Life, Reader's Digest and Smithsonian magazines.
"Fires of Faith" is available at Deseret Book.
What's New: "Fires of Faith," the history of the translated King James Bible
This is a video of the companion DVD to "Fires of Faith."
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11