BYU football: BYU looking to upset No. 5 Notre Dame, last chance to make big statement
"I don't know that we overmatch them at any position," he said. "We're going to play football the way we know how to play it. We're going to do the offense we know how to do. We've found some things that we think will help us against what they do defensively. Hopefully, we've hit it on the head and we'll have some success."
And, of course, the Cougars can't afford to turn the ball over. Turnovers have been a huge factor in their three losses this season.
Asked about the keys to beating Notre Dame, Nelson said, "Take care of the ball on offense, take away the ball on defense. Offensively, we've got to get chunks down the field. Oregon State did a good job of keeping everything in front of us and made us sustain long drives, which are good, but we only got in the end zone three times. We need some chunk plays to get some momentum, and maybe cause a little bit of doubt in their minds, and put more touchdowns up."
This BYU-Notre Dame showdown is expected to be a physical contest.
"It's going to be a battle up front," said Cougar linebacker Kyle Van Noy. "I think whoever wins up front, and the turnover battle, probably wins the game."
The Cougars haven't beaten a top-5 opponent since a 14-13 upset of Oklahoma in the 2009 season-opener. Can they make history against the Irish?
"It's a great team in a great venue," Nelson said. "Hopefully, we can put a whole game together — offense, defense, special teams — all four quarters. We've done those in spurts, but it hasn't been good enough."
Saturday against Notre Dame, BYU has one last chance to make a statement.
Cougars and Fighting Irish on the air
BYU (4-3) at No. 5 Notre Dame (6-0) Saturday, 1:30 p.m. MT
Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, Ind.
TV: NBC Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 98
- Morning links: National college... 96
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 32
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5