SCOTT JARVIE, JARVIEDIGITAL
The Utah Symphony will perform several popular Russian masterpieces in a concert titled "Russian Masters" on Friday, Oct. 26, and Saturday, Oct. 27, at 8 p.m. in Abravanel Hall.
The symphony is under the direction of Gerard Schwarz and will include special guest Russian pianist Lukas Geniusas. The performance will feature one of Sergei Rachmaninoff's most popular and greatest compositions, "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini."
The program will also include works from Dmitri Shostakovich, Alexander Borodin and Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. Shostakovich's "October" will be performed, which was originally written in honor of the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution and highlights Russia's political uncertainty.
Borodin, a former chemistry professor in St. Petersburg, created several masterpieces that were featured in the musical "Kismet." His piece, Symphony No. 2, is a reflection of the heroic nature of many Russians and will also be performed.
Rimsky-Korsakov's "The Tale of Tsar Saltan" is a little more playful, based on the poem by Alexander Pushkin, and will provide the audience with a world of melodic fantasy and Russian folklore.
Utah Symphony Vice President Toby Tokokan and Schwarz will be available for a free pre-concert chat each night one hour before the performance.
Tickets are available online, at the Abravanel Hall ticket office or by calling (801) 355-2787. Prices range from $18-$67. Student discounts are available on the day of the performance.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for the Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and does other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor.
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Photos: Fall colors over Guardsman Pass
- Photos: Elton John brings 'All The Hits' to Utah
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video sentenced
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- The latest ‘Godzilla’ reboot...
- ‘Big Bang Theory,’...
- Summer movie season wasn't so bad for 'the...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream... 2
- Actress detained by police refuses to... 1
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your... 1