Michael Brandy, Deseret News
Personal finance writer and former extreme couponer Christy Rakoczy lists six reasons why she permanently gave up the habit, according to Money Crashers.
1. Free things usually aren’t worth it. Often, you have to buy a ton of items in order to take advantage of “money-off” coupons – items you most likely won’t use, such as diabetes monitors, toothpaste or cold medicine.
2. The same things go on sale. To save the most money, couponers take advantage of sales. Problem is, most of the same things go on sale every week, leading to a stockpile that offers no variety.
3. Storage of bulk items gets in the way. Bargains come in large amounts and could cause hoarding. Without the proper rotation system food spoils and is wasted.
4. It can cause poor nutrition. Deals on nutritious foods like vegetables and fruit are rare. Most deals are for junk food and processed meals that lack nutritional value.
5. Couponers often cheat the system. Coupons are posted online, copied, or used for something other than their original intention, or many other dishonest practices.
6. It wastes too much time. For coupons to really make an impact, extreme couponers dedicate time to collecting the same coupons every week. Organizing stacks of coupons and even checking out takes a ton of time.
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- There's more to why Americans don't save than...
- The battle over coal struggles to find a...
- How Medicare is trying to start a healthier...
- Utah Food Bank security breach exposes 10,000...
- Startup hopes to help children with autism in...
- Handlers learn the finer points of sheepdog...
- A younger generation of farmers gets in the dirt
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs... 27
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic... 12
- Elected officials, business leaders... 7
- There's more to why Americans don't... 6
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The battle over coal struggles to find... 3
- Applications for US jobless aid drop to... 1
- Why China's market slump is good news... 1